Hyundai Accent Offered in a 2 or 3 door hatchback, or 4 door sedan ,this compact offers room to seat 4 people and excellent economy.

2013 Hyundai Accent SE no movement after shifting gears

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2019, 07:22 AM
Default 2013 Hyundai Accent SE no movement after shifting gears

Hello all,

I've monitored this forum to help with other issues, but finally need to ask a question of my own. First about my car:

2013 Hyundai Accent SE - Original Owner
114,xxx miles
Daily commuter of 40 miles one way. Easily 70% highway miles
Routine oil changes, not much other maintenance done
Was planning to take for a full "whatever the mechanic recommends service" later this year, but looking like that will be sooner.

Just got back from a camping trip while we let this car sit for 4 to 5 days. My wife went out to drive to Detroit and said the car wouldnt go in reverse. When I went out, it shifted to reverse just fine, but didnt move like normal. I gave it some gas and it moved but felt like the front end dropped a bit and it was not as responsive as it was (felt like resistance of some sort). My wife said it looked like it was lifting the back end too, which would make sense if the front dropped.

I went forward and backwards a couple times and it started to feel normal. Drove it down a few houses and back with no issues. She drove it 10 to 15 minutes and had no issues either. I did clarify when she initially got in it that she COULD put it in reverse, but it didnt move much like I experienced.

As mentioned above, this is my daily commuter and we just paid it off so I'm hoping to get more use out of it. Looking for ideas of what it might be? I'm going to run by her work later to see if the same behavior is back.

Old 07-26-2019, 11:36 AM

From what you describe, it would seem like you were getting what we call wind up. That is when the front brakes are held and the rest of the vehicle wants to move. There may not be a trans problem, but a brake problem. A trans problem will not correct itself just moving it some as you did. I would suggest looking at what might be holding the front wheels from moving when reverse is selected.

Old 07-26-2019, 01:18 PM

You might be onto something. I just stopped by and checked the car and it is back to business as usual. If it happens again, I'll take a closer look at the wheels and something blocking it.

Old 07-26-2019, 05:58 PM

As you know, if it decides to happen again, it will be at a most inconvenient time,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,so,,,,,,,,,,,,,eithe r you check it or have somebody check it because you know how this works and I'm sure you would rather do what needs to be done when you want to do it and not when it decides to malfunction.
Something to do with "Murphy's law". If t can , It will, at the worst possible time.

Old 08-13-2019, 10:42 AM

Could it be that the REAR brakes are locking up?? Does your Accent have rear drums?? Or rear discs?? If drums, might be something to consider. (Maybe discs also).