Hyundai Accent Offered in a 2 or 3 door hatchback, or 4 door sedan ,this compact offers room to seat 4 people and excellent economy.

2014 Accent Stereo Issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2022, 06:27 PM
Default 2014 Accent Stereo Issues

Hey all,

TLDR:

2014 Accent with intermittent stereo issues. Theory is moisture related but not yet proven. No memory lost on head unit when power/connectivity restored.

Long Version

I have a 2014 Accent still rocking the stock stereo which has been fine for the most part. Recently, within the last year I would guess, its periodically stopped working. I mean completely dead. No BT, no CD eject, no lights, nothing. EVERYTHING else outside of the stereo works (power windows, locks, tach, spedo, etc) The last time it happened, it was out for a while and I assumed that was it. Took it in to have it checked as I still thought maybe it was a short and they just wanted to install a new factory deck for a cool grand. Obviously I can do cheaper myself so I started gathering what I needed, even ordered a deck (which was cancelled due to no stock) and just as the parts start showing up, stereo kicks back in like nothing happened. No memory lost (programs are still there, click is set), nothing.

I am starting to think this is weather related but need a good rain storm to confirm. Looking back it seems to have happened when things were really wet and started working once it dried out (along with the car I guess). I live in Alberta so it gets its share of rain but it is very dry nonetheless.

Anyone have anything similar or have any idea what to look for here. I am assuming some kind of short since it comes back without issue but maybe something else? I am hesitant to install a new deck if it is something further down the system than the head unit.

Any wiring guides out there to show me where I should be looking so I don't have to rip the entire car apart. Well aware I may be chasing a ghost but the car has been solid for 7+ years and not having tunes just sucks.

Thanks!

Old 07-31-2022, 12:54 PM

You might consider using a hose to wet down certain portions of the vehicle with the stereo on and see if you can determine what area might be involved.

Sounds a little crude , but often works.