Hyundai Accent Offered in a 2 or 3 door hatchback, or 4 door sedan ,this compact offers room to seat 4 people and excellent economy.

auto tranny fluid change.

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2006, 03:15 PM
Default auto tranny fluid change.

Okay it will be my first on this model (2000 accent, auto) What oil is out there besides dealership oil. How much fluid neede for pan down filter change.
Robert

Old 10-13-2006, 04:23 PM
Default RE: auto tranny fluid change.

I did mine a year ago. At the time, the ONLY tranny fluid available designated for that tranny was at the dealers. I do not know if this still hold true, but as mine was under warranty, I used their fluid. I found peices of metal and a piece of a large e- clip when I dropped the pan, and I got a warranty replacement. I have heard horror stories of people invalidating warranties due to the use of improper fluids. Due to the complexities of today's transmissions, the days of generic transmission fluid are gone. Hyundai is not the only one. Chrylser has been specifying a specific fluid for years (7176), and many think the tranny problems we heard so much of in the past were caused by the use of generics. I personally believe it is because so many people shift from fwd to rev and vice versa w/o coming to a complete stop.

Old 10-13-2006, 07:36 PM

I've heard that there is a compatible fluid, dextron 3 with a special additive, that autozone was reccommending. Auto zone told me that the fluid at the dealer was $10 /qt and called for 12 qts??? That sounds like a hell of a lot of oil for a small tranny like this . Maybe that was with a complete flush? Also heard that chrysler has a compatible fluid? I have 65K on board and warranty is expired from what I was told as a 2nd owner.

Old 10-14-2006, 12:28 AM

I forgot the part about the amount. I bought 6 quarts. I believe I used just under 4, as I still have 2 left. I believe there would be a few more in the torque converter, that yes, would come out with one of those jiffy flushes, plus the extra 3 or 4 flushed through to be sure. I also believe those places, unless someone tells me otherwise, use "universal" fluid out of the same 55 gallon drum. I paid $6-7 per quart. A replacment reman. transmission is around $2500. Pay the price. I sometimes use Autozone for parts, but generally not for information. Here is a link form ALLPAR (Chrysler devotee) site that has some relevance to other makes. Transmission problems and maintenance When I contacted transmission companies several years ago, some, but not all were unaware of what is mentioned on this link. I would choose to go to the ones that were aware.

Old 01-08-2007, 06:32 PM

Every dealer will recommend their own brand and tell you to use it. It generates more sales for them instead of giving it to the local autozone boys. If you want a good oil get Amsoil ATF. It's compatible with nearly every automatic transmission except for CVTs! It's fully synthetic and reduces oxidizing by 50% over comparible brands, so it will undoubtedly last the life of the transmission. I've heard several horror stories on other vehicle makes of doing transmission flushes as it can mess up the valves; but I guess you won't know until you get one done.

Shifting the transmissino properly will help. If the vehicle has not stopped completely you'll put more wear on the torque converter when it engages/disengages.