Hyundai Accent Offered in a 2 or 3 door hatchback, or 4 door sedan ,this compact offers room to seat 4 people and excellent economy.

Best short throw shifter

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2006, 12:16 AM
Default Best short throw shifter

I'm looking for input here. After searching through the posts and trying to find all the info available on the web, I'd like to know the good /bad points on shifters. TWM Performance has an accent-specific shifter and B&M has model #45119. Both are close in price. What have you guys installed? My '05 Accent definately needs the change.

Old 03-08-2006, 03:15 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Best short throw shifter

B&M is a really good brand. They have been in the shifter business for years now. If I were you, that is who I would go with.

Old 03-12-2006, 11:16 PM
Default RE: Best short throw shifter

Hi,

I've fitted a TWM short shifter. At the time I bought it they had a special offer on both the shifter and the freight which made for a good price.
Here's a bit of a list of my thoughts;
As expected it really shortens and improves the gear change.
As the new lever is straight it move it's position forward so if, like me, your legs are a bit short you don't have the feeling of reaching back to change gear.
I found the lever a bit to low on the floor so I made a spacer to fit up inside the gear *** - to unshorten the shift!
When changing into first the lever can touch the side of the housing which makes a clicking sound.
As the shift is shorter the springs keeping the lever in the 3rd 4th plane are now a bit strong so you need a bit more of a sideways push to get to 1st 2nd or 5th.
I kept the original rubber mountings rather than use the solid aluminium ones TWM supplied. For road use the originals are solid enough.
I also changed to Castrol synthetic gearbox oil which give a slightly lighter gearchange.

While it's not a perfect solution it produces a very worthwhile improvement over the standard Hyundai gear change.