Hyundai Accent Offered in a 2 or 3 door hatchback, or 4 door sedan ,this compact offers room to seat 4 people and excellent economy.

Body Damage 2002 Accent GS

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2011, 11:38 PM
Default Body Damage 2002 Accent GS

Hey guys,

I got a 2002 Hyundai Accent GS 1.6L Three door hatchback, color: Silver

The other day my brakes failed and I got into a fender bender (my fault). The Insurance is taking care of the other driver but I had Liability so my car is NOT covered.

The damage was to my passenger side door and fender, the engine wasn't touched and still runs fine except the Brakes still feel kind of sponge like. I'll have the brakes inspected and repaired, that's not a problem.

Can any of you tell me the most cost effective way to do the body work repairs. I will have to replace the Passenger side door and fender. I mean, should I just put it in a shop and pay full price? or should I first purchase a fender and door and pay someone to do the labor? Also, if I purchase the parts, where is the best place to order? or should I just check some junkyards?

Like I said, I have liability insurance and all costs are comming out of my pocket.

If any of you have any suggestions I would deeply appriciate it, money is tight and I need to get my work vehicle back on the road. It's been a great running car with only 83,000 miles and once every other day I start it up and move it outside and back in the garage just to keep the motor in shape.

Thanks.

Attached Thumbnails Body Damage 2002 Accent GS-damage-1.jpg   Body Damage 2002 Accent GS-damage-5.jpg  
Old 09-24-2011, 11:41 PM

The door and fender can be purchased from a local junkyard for under $400 IF, and only IF they aren't part of the nation-wide auto recycling firm. If they are, it'll likely cost you double that.

The fender replacement is very simple. Remove bumper, remove old fender, bolt on new fender replace bumper... this can be done with a screw driver and a 10mm socket. About an hour in the driveway.

The door can be done one of two ways. 1, disassemble the hinge, unplug door electrical lead, and replace. 2 (and what I would do) pop the inner door off, remove the speaker, remove the electrical lead, and unbolt the hinges from the car itself. Much quicker and easier... AGAIN, something that can be done with a screwdriver and a 10mm and 12mm socket.

Definitely a good 3 hour job in the driveway and something almost anyone can handle.

Don't pay a garage to do this, especially if it's on your dime. If you can't find the correct color, however... you may want to have it painted professionally regardless.

Old 09-25-2011, 02:33 AM

@Danny955i, Thanks for your input. Yeah, I was worried that Their was some kind of welding involved but it sounds like it's (for the most part) nuts and bolts. I'm in the process of trying to find the fender and door and preferably LOCAL because I'm finding these parts can be found throughout the country but the shipping cost is much more than the actual part.

I'm in California so if anyone knows of a good parts place in California let me know.

Old 10-08-2011, 12:05 PM

UPDATE!!!!!!!!

Quick question?? I hope someone can help??

I have found the door, fender, and fender liner, most of the original inner fender clips, mounting clips, clip and screw, etc were still attached to the fender and liner but I have a couple of those clips missing.

Can any of you tell me where I can get some more of those inner fender clips? mounting clips? clip and screw? etc?

The dealer does sell those clips but at about $4.00 to $5.00 for each one. Anyplace else that sells those at a cheaper price?

THANKS.