Hyundai Accent Offered in a 2 or 3 door hatchback, or 4 door sedan ,this compact offers room to seat 4 people and excellent economy.

California difference?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2006, 01:10 AM
Default California difference?

Does anyone know why Hyundais in California only recommend that at 60,000 miles for the timing belt to be changed....they dont require it like in the other states to keep the warranty on the motor intact?Just curious.

Old 03-30-2006, 01:38 AM
Default RE: California difference?

If it helps, I let you know that in my country Hyundai requires timing belt to replaced at 75,000km, that's ~45,000miles!

Old 03-30-2006, 04:17 AM

In Canada they recommend 100 k kilometers which is about the same as 60K miles..

I have only had one timing belt break in my life. It was on an old Volvo I owned about 6 years ago. The closest place to tow it was to the Hyundai dealer where they replaced it and I was on my way.
But the mechanic told me that if it breaks on a Hyundai you hear a KA-BOOM and your engine is KAPUT

I don't know how true that is but I have 60K, km on my Hyundai Accent now and as soon as it reaches 100K , km . It's getting a new timing belt whether it needs it or not. [8D]
W.Y.

Old 03-30-2006, 10:13 AM

Im also guessing that Hyundai makes it a requirement at 60,000 miles to change the timing belt just to keep it safe for possible motor replacements....makes a lot of sense.Like they say "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure."Good move on their part to reduce the chances of replacing many motors.

Old 04-07-2006, 04:28 PM

Timing belts are hit or miss. Thay can last for 60k or to 150k. I look at it this way, sure I can press my luck or I can convince myself of the following, one timing belt + Labor = $xxx. One engine + labor = MOTHERFOCKER HOW MUCH??!!!! JESUS S CHRIST!!!!
THIS FOCKING PEICE OF SHEEEET!!! I've always come back to reality, one timing belt + labor is far cheaper. My two sense!!!
Brant

Old 04-08-2006, 01:00 AM

TIMING BELT??? I bought my Hyundai for the TIMING CHAIN!!!

What Hyundai has a timing belt? I am sorta shocked. Learning curve here ... at least the Azera has a timing chain. That is one reason I didn't buy a Toyota, because they had the belt. VW had a belt. Hyundai had a chain.

What models have a belt? Is this only on older models??? Very curious.

Thanks for any reply to inform me about this.

Old 04-08-2006, 01:24 AM

I can only speak for my particular model 2002 Hyundai Accent , 1.6L DOHC.
The manual says to change the timing belt at 100K km. (approx 60K miles).
W.Y.

Old 04-09-2006, 01:10 PM

Youre right Brant....its like Grandma use to say.."an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure".And Winston i also have a 2002 Accent GL and it says i have a timing belt in the owners manual.Maybe the newer models Hyundai since 2002 switched over from the belt to the chain,im not sure or maybe the chain is in the higher type models....the more you pay the better quality belt you also get.When do they require you to change your timing chain Winston?

Old 04-10-2006, 04:57 PM

Here someone says Azera does have chain and not belt! I think only cheaper models have timing belt...

Old 04-10-2006, 05:40 PM

It seems they dont let you know that in the fancy brochures about the differences in the cars huh.Oh well....better to get a new belt than a new motor.

Quick Reply: California difference?