Hyundai Accent Offered in a 2 or 3 door hatchback, or 4 door sedan ,this compact offers room to seat 4 people and excellent economy.

California difference?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2006, 01:10 AM
Default RE: California difference?

Will find out tomorrow ... finally going in for the first oil change, and I'll ask then. I never have replaced a timing chain in any car. If I do in this Azera, it will be a first. Many miles to go before it would need changing. I never had a timing chain break [thank goodness!].

I have more questions for the service department ... tomorrow will be interesting.

Old 04-11-2006, 11:05 AM

Good deal.....hope they can answer all your questions with little hassle.*Sigh* i wish i had a timing chain [sm=hail.gif]

Old 04-11-2006, 03:03 PM

Okay folks ... today was the first trip with the baby going back to the doctor. My Azera had it's first oil change [and I really got lip-service from the service manager]. The service manager kept hounding me to only get the oil changed at 5,000 miles. Well, my husband and I both have always had the oil changed at 3,000 in our vehicles of the past. I am about to make a serious road trip in this car, and today the mileage was 2,738. They did change the oil and filter. This was offered by the dealer before the sale [FREE OIL CHANGE AND TIRE ROTATION FOR 1 YEAR AFTER THE SALE]. No miles were specified on that deal, so I am going to get every service I can during the first year.
NOTICE: The oil filter in the AZERA is in the TOP OF THE ENGINE. You need a special tool to open the top of the engine. The filter has two O-gaskets, one for the top and one for the bottom of the filter, and it is supposed to cost about $8.00 for this filter. I wasn't allowed into the work area, but I did stand at the door and ask questions at the top of my lungs. I wanted to know why they were taking my engine apart! Sort of shocking to a former Ford owner. The people that worked on it were very nice to explain where the filter was, how it is changed, and the type of oil that was put into the car.
I was in and out of the shop in no time. Basically it was a good experience, minus the attitude of the service manager. He thought I was snapping at him about the mileage. I just don't like to hear someone's mouth about when we choose to change the oil. This car will be taken care of probably better than most people would take care of a car. It has to last me between 11-15 years, and the service WILL happen.
They did put a list in the car for me about upcoming services available for the car. I had some questions, and found out AZERA and SONATA have the TIMING CHAIN. No recommendation about changing that. The little service booket claims that for those needing to change a TIMING BELT, Hyundai recommends 60,000 miles and the cost at the High Point dealership is currently $789.95.
There are other things in this phamplet that I probably wouldn't consider, like they add fuel injection cleaner to the tank at 15,000 miles, 45K and 75K. ??? WHY is the big question. With all the fuel additives today, is that really necessary? Or is this just a way to rip off the unknowing consumer?
ANYONE OUT THERE PUTTING FUEL INJECTION CLEANER IN THEIR NEARLY NEW HYUNDAI??? Would like to hear from you folks. I get more information and honest feedback from this site.
We are extremely pleased with the performance of our AZERA so far. The EPA mileage sticker is way off. We are getting almost 25 mpg in the city, and 36.4 mpg on the road. It still handles like a dream, NO SQUEAKS, NO RATTLES, NO VIBRATIONS. Love this car! Giddy-up-go!

Old 04-11-2006, 04:05 PM

They are crazy.....every 5,000 miles for an oil change,thats a bit long between changes to me.If i were you i would have told the service manager to "shut his mouth and know his role" and that you will get it changed every 3,000 miles like you want....hmmph!As for the fuel injector cleaner i use some when my car seems a bit sluggish.....like the injectors are clogged.Even if they do have all kinds of fuel additives added to the gasoline remember that trash and small amounts of debris may get mixed up in the gas station tanks when they refuel with those big trucks and yes sometimes it may work its way into your tank and get clogged a bit in the fuel injectors.It helps to clear the way for fresh gasoline churning its way to the from to tank to the engine.And i will be getting a belt this month put on my car soooooooo i'll let ya know what dent they put in my wallet that day.

Old 04-11-2006, 07:01 PM

Reading the fine print on this brochure ... Timing Belt Installed [nothing else] is listed at $399.95.

Good luck ... not sure the prices will be the same where you are. This is from the price list at Carolina Hyundai in High Point, NC.

Old 04-12-2006, 09:26 PM

The Hyundai 1.6 ltr engine comes with a timing belt. I hate them but, whatta ya gonna do. Change them when recommended and you should have no issues. My 94 Toyota truck had a timing chain. I had to replace the chain guides. They were prone to wearing out and the chain itself would grind it's way through thus allowing the coolant into the oil. I think timing belts are a conservative way of saving on weight and ease however, it's still a belt and very much prone to breakage even though I have yet to have that happen.
Thats my 2 cents.....
Brant

Old 04-13-2006, 01:37 AM

Im at 60,200 miles so its safe to say it will be changed before it reaches 61,000 miles I was just wondering why they only recommed it to be changed at 60,000 miles in California but dont require it.....they have a consumer lawsuit over the issue or something?

Old 04-14-2006, 07:47 PM

well the later 2.0 and 1.6 have a timing belt and a chain (one cam is driven off the crank via a belt and the other cam is driven off the front cam via a chain ) mostly tiburon engines. in the uk we change the belts at 40k miles if its pre 1998 and 50k miles if its 1998 on. but there is no recommended change for the chains.

Old 04-28-2006, 03:20 PM
Super Moderator

My Accent is at 117,000 and I don't think the belt has ever been changed. I know how to, and I know of the dangers but upon investigation the belt looked fine. It had no wear or tear visible, no cracks or dry-rot. What do you guys think.

Old 04-28-2006, 03:59 PM

Wow....117,000 miles!Im impressed by that high mileage on one belt.How do you check it anyway? Does the cover come off that easy and you can see it real good for cracks and wear?