Hyundai Accent Offered in a 2 or 3 door hatchback, or 4 door sedan ,this compact offers room to seat 4 people and excellent economy.

Considering a '99 Accent

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 03:05 PM
Default Considering a '99 Accent

So, I've been looking for a cheap dependable car for my 16 y/o daughter. I came across this ad:

99 Hyundai accent 5 speed!!Cheap running car

This car runs and drives and is inspected until 7/11.Has aftermarket exhaust and cd player.This car is ready to drive.The emissions filter needs changed.It is what filters the air released by your gas tank.Thas is the only thing the car needs but isnt a must to drive.The car has new tires, alternator, wires and plugs, new manifold gasket,rebuilt tranny and new clutch, and struts are new also. .190,000 miles.This car was my daily driver until i got my truck.Car has some dents here and there but good overall.Needs a little tlc to be perfect.Call anytime xxx-xxx-xxxx ask for XXXX Looking for best offer i need the car gone because i dont have a place to park it!!So dont be shy.Im also willing to make trades for atv,Like i said best offer takes it !! sooner the better!!Keys and title in hand!!!Hood has a nice dent in it also.There was a spolier placed on it to hide but didnt little to no justice.Easy junk yard find ! I just left it alone.The car will pay for its self with gas savings!!
I emailed him and got this response:
The muffler isnt Loud but has a nice softer hum when getting up to speedThe car does need some tlc to look perfect.A young lady owned it before me and painted a few interior parts red.I would let the car go for $650.00.it does have a fewdents on trunk and a little around the car but nothing crazy,and needs the driver side door handle replaced.Should be an easy fix.I took it off so the doorcan be opened using the rod inside.
I'm trying to ascertain if it's ever had a timing belt change. If not, that will be an immediate repair bill along with the door handle. What does anyone think? If you were looking for a really cheap car would you consider it for $650? How many miles can I expect out of a Hyundai?

Last edited by mikekerstetter; 01-26-2011 at 04:00 PM.
Old 01-27-2011, 05:08 PM
Banned

if you're concerned about the timing belt (good call actually) just ask him outright instead of beating around the bush. whats the point?

if he says yes ask him to prove it with maintenance records. if he does his own work, ask for a parts receipt. when buying a car assume everything the seller says is total garbage until they prove it.

Old 01-27-2011, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by zero_gravity
if you're concerned about the timing belt (good call actually) just ask him outright instead of beating around the bush. whats the point?

if he says yes ask him to prove it with maintenance records. if he does his own work, ask for a parts receipt. when buying a car assume everything the seller says is total garbage until they prove it.
I've actually asked him about it, via email, and strangely I've not received an answer. I wanted to see and drive the car but he's quit responding to me, won't return an email or return my phone call. For someone who's stated he had title and keys in hand ready to sell, he doesn't seem very motivated. I've continued my search.

Old 01-28-2011, 05:37 PM
Banned

sounds like he stopped responding because you began to ask the right questions. not all that uncommon!

Old 01-29-2011, 05:59 PM

I would look for a '03-up Accent, Hyundai made some improvements to the Accent. As long as she dosen't mind a manual trans, that's the best way to go on a small car, for power and gas mileage. I love my new Accent GLS! Timing belt changes are a life or death thing on import cars.

Old 01-29-2011, 09:42 PM
Banned

^^ another vote for a manual. almost all the known issues with the accent are regarding the automatic. weather they're common or not, the manual has none! well except maybe the odd clutch bearing wearing out prematurely

Old 01-30-2011, 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by zero_gravity
^^ another vote for a manual. almost all the known issues with the accent are regarding the automatic. weather they're common or not, the manual has none! well except maybe the odd clutch bearing wearing out prematurely
Yes, even the Elantras are known for that, too (friend has a '04 MT GT). Important to take it easy with these clutches!

Old 01-31-2011, 03:25 AM

Well, $1000 cars are hard to find, at least in my area. We found a 1994 Olds Cutlass Supreme, 120,000 miles on it for $700. Needs a rear wheel bearing and 2 tires. Runs and drives good though. Low miles (about 7,100 miles per year) for the year. If it lasts her a year or two I'll be happy.

Old 02-05-2011, 04:55 AM

Took it to my mechanic yesterday. He says the old Olds is in good shape. Other than the tires and wheel bearing (which is really a wheel hub because you don't change the bearing anymore), the only other thing it needs is a fuel filter, which he says looks original. He says I got a good deal on it.

Old 02-05-2011, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by mikekerstetter
Took it to my mechanic yesterday. He says the old Olds is in good shape. Other than the tires and wheel bearing (which is really a wheel hub because you don't change the bearing anymore), the only other thing it needs is a fuel filter, which he says looks original. He says I got a good deal on it.
Make sure it dosen't have Dex-Cool antifreeze in it (orange color), that stuff is known to eat gaskets. Another thing to watch out for is both the lower and upper intake gaskets are prone to leak when they get older. You got a good deal on the car.