Hyundai Accent Offered in a 2 or 3 door hatchback, or 4 door sedan ,this compact offers room to seat 4 people and excellent economy.

Dent

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2010, 12:02 PM
Default Dent

I have a large dent on my drivers side quarter panel and i dont have the money to take it to a shop to get it fixed. Is there any way i can do it myself? As you can see it is a pretty large dent! Thanks!

Attached Thumbnails Dent-img_0089.jpg  
Old 12-12-2010, 02:10 PM

Leave it... use the money for something that will appreciate.... like a house payment..

Old 12-21-2010, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by sbr711
Leave it... use the money for something car electronics that will appreciate.... like a house payment..
Very true! lol

Old 12-23-2010, 11:12 AM
Banned

if you want to fix that nonsense, you're better off to get a new fender. maybe you can find one in a junkyard that is in good shape, but you're not really going to save much.

this also means that you have to paint the fender. if unpainted, you can go right to primer. if it is painted, you have to strip the paint first.

before you start you need a workshop that has either ventilation with filters (even furnace filters will do) or sealed. any dust at all on your paint will ruin your project.vacuum your workshop and let any remaining dust settle.

next you need a PROPER respirator with the CORRECT filter cartridges, googles, disposable gloves, and i also recommend using a CLEAN shop coat and a hat to keep this crap off you. automotive paint is extremely toxic! some of it causes cancer and other fun stuff! it can kill you!!

now you can begin prepping the fender. clean with a grease/wax remover. then use a tack cloth to remove any dust/lint from cleaning. then using a compressor and a spray gun spray on the primer. primer may require mixing a catalyst. don't use the cheap spray cans on something like this, its too big and won't look right.

after thats done you get to sand the primer smooth. start with 200 grit and then go down to 400 myself, but i am very meticulous.

avoid using compressed air to clean the sanding dust, you can damage the fresh primer. if you must, use no more than 20psi and keep your nozzle away from the fender. clean with the grease/wax remover again. clean with tack cloth again - you're going to need lots of these.

now spray with the paint, mix according to the manufacturer's instructions exactly. mixing it wrong will trash your results. you will likely need 2 or even 3 coats.

after its dry, clean with tack cloths. then you can do the clearcoat, again don't use spray cans. do it right. after you've applied 2 coats let it dry for a day or two to ensure the clearcoat has hardened. then you can buff it, or you can do that after its on the car.

still want to fix your dent??? unless you're crazy like me and happen to have a lot of this stuff see a body shop!!

i am doing the exact same thing currently (stopped for the winter) and here's what your costs look like in canadian dollar:

new fender - $120
1 pint GOOD paint - $70
paint thinner - $20
primer - $20
primer catalyst - $10
clearcoat - $15
clearcoat hardener - $10
grease/wax remover - $5
tack cloths - $20
sandpaper - $15

thats provided you have all the other non consumable equipment like a compressor, respirator, spray gun, etc.