Hyundai Accent Offered in a 2 or 3 door hatchback, or 4 door sedan ,this compact offers room to seat 4 people and excellent economy.

Faulty Accent Brake Line Switch

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2008, 02:06 PM
Default Faulty Accent Brake Line Switch

I have a 2005 Accent Automatic 2D, and recently I had an issue that I thought I'd post on here, maybe to pre-warn others:

I noticed on a few occasions, I would have trouble shifting from park to any other gear. One morning, I was really having trouble shifting; it seemed like it was stuck. I finally was able to get it to budge, and drove off to IKEA with a friend of mine. Once we got out of IKEA, I was able to start my car, but was NOT able to shift at all. After calling a mechanic friend of mine, I was able to discover I had no brake lights at all. If your brake lights malfuction, it can be one of two things: a faulty fuse, or a faulty brake line switch. I was able to manually override the control to allow me to take my car out of park, and take it to a nearby Hyundai dealership. They were able to see that the pin for the switch was stuck. Problem was, since this is becoming a problem, the dealership was out of the part, and ended up going to TWO other dealerships in Houston to get a new part, each time having to manually override the switch in order to get it out of park. Within a week, my friend Jon had the same exact problem with his 2002 Accent. The part was $15.

Old 05-26-2008, 05:58 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Faulty Accent Brake Line Switch

That's common on a lot of cars. The computer only allows the car to be shifted from PARK if the brake is pressed. The only way the computer knows if you are pressing the brake is by the brake light switch (which also affects the cruise control). Good find.