Hyundai Accent Offered in a 2 or 3 door hatchback, or 4 door sedan ,this compact offers room to seat 4 people and excellent economy.

Flooded 2001 3dr Accent M/T

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 12:34 AM
JAW
Default Flooded 2001 3dr Accent M/T

Hello everyone and thank you in advance for any help.
My 01 accent was flooded by TS FAY. Water level inside the car was about 2 inches above the cup holders in the center console. I've been trying to get it running. Here is what i have done. Drained and replaced the oil, Replaced Battery, Replaced some fuses, Checked every relay and fuse in engine and driver compartment. So far all it will crank over and over but it will not fire. I have noticed and diagnosed a few things. The fuel pump will not come on when i turn the ignition to on (or just before start). Before, the pump would run for about 3 seconds then shut off if i didn't actually engage the starter. I can manually kick the fuel pump on by shorting terminals on the Engine control Relay. It seems like my ECM might be gone. I haven't had a chance to test for sparks, but i doubt there are any. All the lights in my dash light up except for the check engine light. I have a usb obd sensor and it can't detect my ECM period, though i don't know if this has to do with the battery being disconnected for a while. I have tested the ignition switch per instructions on HMASERVICE.COM and i also tested the relays manually with a spare battery. I do get a slight smell of gas when i crank the engine for a while, and i have tried priming the engine for a few seconds by manually closing the contact on the fuel pump relay.

Givens:
- 98K miles no accidents and all stock parts except new battery and alternator that i replaced with a used one about 2 years ago.
-Car was flooded for less than 24 hours, waters receded quickly.
-Oil has been changed, there was a lot of water in it and it smelled like gas.
-I haven't checked engine sensors yet
-Fuel pump works when i bypass the relay in the engine compartment relay box
-Engine cranks over fine, makes a squeaky sound
- Alternator hasn't been tested but was definitely submerged
- Battery was replaced

Questions:
Well, what's wrong? Do i need a new ECM?? i know the next step is to check the sensors but i need some input. Is there any way of checking the ECM with other equipment?

Help?

Old 09-10-2008, 07:09 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Flooded 2001 3dr Accent M/T

There's a reason flooded cars get totaled. It's because you will be hunting down problems for years. Do yourself a favor and talk to your insurance company abouttotalling the car and buying a new one. I love Hyundai Accents but let's get real, they aren't worth the effort to repair from that bad of a flood, especially one with 98K miles.