Hyundai Accent Offered in a 2 or 3 door hatchback, or 4 door sedan ,this compact offers room to seat 4 people and excellent economy.

Gas Mileage question.

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2007, 09:59 PM
Default Gas Mileage question.

Hey guys. Just bought my 07 Accent GS a week ago. So far I've put about 1200 km's on it.

I haven't done the math yet. But I'm just not feeling I'm getting the gas mileage I'm supposed to be.

Is it true that new cars need to adjust or be worked in for the first 2k or so? Or is this something I should look into further?

Old 08-03-2007, 05:13 PM
Default RE: Gas Mileage question.

On my first fill-up after buying my 2007 GLS; I got 27 mpg (43km/g). Afterwards, I've been getting around 32 mpg (51km/g). This is all for city driving with a minimal amount on the highway. For highway-only driving, I got 41mpg (66km/g). I have 1500 miles (2400km) total on the car now. Also, it is a 5-speed manual transmission.

Since you also have a 2007 model, maybe you could check something for me? If you put the key in the ignition and turn it to the "on" position momentarily (do not start the car), do you see a "low fuel" light come on with the rest of the indicators? It should be in the lower right of the instrument cluster. The "low fuel" light is the only one of mine that does not come on when I check the indicators.

regards,

A.

Old 08-04-2007, 04:06 PM

Thanks for the info.

Checked into the cluster lights for you. No I don't get the Low fuel light either. I'm assuming by that its not part of the initial on phase.

Later.

Old 08-08-2007, 10:05 PM

here's what i noticed with my gas mileage.
1. my car needed a "breaking in period" i got better gas mileage after about 6000 miles
2. discount gas sucks for our car, whenever possible i fill up at shellit seems to get the best gas mileage
3. the best mod (in my opinion) for use as adaily driver is a cold air intake, not short ram intake. no matter what people say an CAIdefinatlyperforms better, it is impossible and nonsensical to beleive that warm air would work better in an internal combustion engine then cold air. as far as my car goes, if i slow down to 80 MPH on the highway i get 40 MPG (i drive fast=0)

non gas mileage related
4. switching to synthetic oil always helps things run smoother so you may want to do that at 6000 miles

Old 08-08-2007, 10:14 PM
Default RE: Gas Mileage question - First Observations!

I have a 07 Accent GS as well, bought just a few weeks ago, currently have 825km on it. (Oakville Hyundai Dealership just west of Toronto).

Commute to work is roughly 34km each way, and due to the recent "oven-like" weather, the A/C has been on for the most part of my trips.

I would say that 20 km of the trip is on the highway and the balance is modest city driving which averages anywhere from 40km to 80 km/h.

I just put in my second tank of fuel. My first fill cost me $36 for 35 litres of gas after 480 km - this is when the low fuel light came on.My second tank was odd as I only got to 402km before the low fuel light cameon.

What I can tell you is that the fuel gauge is DEFINETLY not linear. The firstfull to3/4 tank area drops REALLY fast.From that point the gauge slows down a bit.

Also, the low fuel light comes on as it should, but when you fill up just after it comes on, you can only put in about 32 to 36 litres but the tank holds more than that, in factI believe it is 46 or 48 litres(I might be wrong as I am quoting from a substandard memory right now...) so indeed it is quite an early warning as you have many kilometers to go before actually running out of fuel....I would be tempted to see just what a full tank right down to"stall the engine" empty would get you in the way of mileage.
"
I think that the engine is a little "tight" driving out of the dealership...it lacks powerand the "umphhhh" that normally drives people to buy the car, but that lack of power is perhaps sometimes construed as "if it doesnt go fast, it must be awesome on gas......" Yes, perhapsthat might be true....its just that the Accent seems to do it in such a lazy way that the benefits of ownership are a little foggy right after the purchase, but I am always optomistic that things will clear up.

Cheers,
Jay

Old 09-06-2007, 11:07 AM
Default RE: Gas Mileage question - First Observations!

Thanks guys,

I'm up around 3500km now and the gas mileage is much much better. I'm getting between 480km -500km per fill at an average of $30. So I'm happy with that. The performance still lacks a little. I think I will be taking your advise on the cold air intake.

Old 09-18-2007, 10:46 PM

Agree about buying fuel from Shell. I was initially hooked on Sunoco a while ago, but Shell was recently designated with the "top fuel" program as being above average in quality. So my mind was made up!

Now I have 3200km on the car and a $36 tank @ 97.2 cents will take me 425km before the light will come on again.

It seems to be getting better, not by leaps or bounds but simply a few km every fill - However, Seiken - you have a very valid point. As the weather cools down, the air is colder, more dense, perhaps this will contribute to the mileage, but then again I think about the whole engine compartment in there - It's cramped and it's warm, so that air is certainly going to warm up a bit before it's sucked in.

(And on another semi-related note, apparently the Alpha's have ceramic cylinder sleeves to keep the engine cool and the wear/tear minimal-but I googled this after hearing it in a Yahoo chat, and found nothing to support it. My only consideration that this is true is indeed the long break in period - After all, ceramic is ceramic! You can't burn or scorch it, let alone wear it down with any ease......)

Old 12-14-2007, 10:31 AM

Do you remember how much it cost to add your cold air intake?

Old 12-19-2007, 02:53 AM

How does the Accent MPG compare to the Yaris & Honda Fit? My wife & I bought an Accent quickly & never got to drive a Fit at all & just the auto version of the Toyota. I hope with careful driving we might come close to the EPA numbers but we'll see.

Old 01-05-2008, 02:48 AM

Two tanks so far have been right at the Accent's EPA highway estimate of 32MPG. I bet if we take it for a highway drive once warm weather & higher energy summer mix gas gets here in late winter or early spring, Accent will get much better.

Quick Reply: Gas Mileage question.