Hyundai Accent Offered in a 2 or 3 door hatchback, or 4 door sedan ,this compact offers room to seat 4 people and excellent economy.

headlights won't go off!

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 08:46 PM
Default headlights won't go off!

(this problem is (perhaps) linked to the thread about indicator switch issues i started previously on another forum... http://forum.ukhac.co.uk/YaBB.pl?num=1287438712)

as mentioned in that thread, my 1996-7 hyundai accent glsi has an issue with the headlights staying on. i *hoped* that it was simply a faulty switch, but replacing it has not resolved the issue. i now hope someone who knows something about car electronics could take a look at the facts of the matter and give some indication regarding how best to go about troubleshooting it as it now seems likely to be a short somewhere in the wiring.

here are the facts (writing them down will probably help me as much as anyone else!):

- the problem started on nov 1st. i indicated left and heard a click when parking up. i thought nothing of it. when i came back to the car a few hours later, the battery was flat, and when it was jump started the lights were on even though the switch was off.

- on one subsequent occasion when i replaced the fusible link, the lights did not immediately go on. however, as soon as i switched lights on, there was no way to switch them off afterwards.

- due to a mix up with part numbers, i bought two replacement switches. i have tried them both, and the problem persists.

- as far as i can see the lighting circuit goes like this:
stalk switch --> [bonnet fuse box] big pink fuse ("FUSIBLE LINK" according to haynes manual) --> 20A RELAY --> two 10A FUSES (one per light) --> lights.

- when the FUSIBLE LINK is removed, it cuts the lights completely. this is how i have been stopping the battery going flat.

- the 20A RELAY does NOT click when the switch is turned, or when the battery is connected and the lights immediately go on. by contrast, the tail light relay clicks when the switch is turned.

- when the RELAY is swapped for another identical one from the same fuse box, the lights stay on.

- when the RELAY is removed altogether, the lights stay on.

- when one of the 10A FUSES is removed, the associated light stays on, but dimmer.

- the main (high) beam works fine when switched, but the sidelights do not appear to be working, even when the switch is turned one click (difficult to tell as the dipped headlights are always on when the fuse is in)

those are the (puzzling) facts and tests carried out so far.

i know next to nothing about electronics, but i suspect there is a short somewhere in the vicinity of the relay.

do all the facts give anyone an inkling of where they would start further testing?

thanks for reading!

Last edited by ssme; 01-17-2011 at 08:49 PM.
Old 09-11-2012, 11:08 AM
Default headlights wont turn off

What was the out come to your headlight problem ive got the same trouble.
Caroline