Hyundai Accent Offered in a 2 or 3 door hatchback, or 4 door sedan ,this compact offers room to seat 4 people and excellent economy.

headlights wont turn off

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2012, 10:51 AM
Unhappy headlights wont turn off

Hello
Can anyone help me? My 96/97 accent i cannot get the headlights to turn off.Its not the relay or the switch because i have replaced them.The only way is to take out the fuse which isnt good as its coming up for mot and i love my car.
Can anyone give me the answer?
Caroline

Old 09-12-2012, 03:37 PM

hi caroline,
i have the same model car and was having the same problem a couple of years ago (you posted in my thread, so you know the details).

i spent months trying to fix it. we even took the fuse box out and checked every single wire.

in the end i was offered a solution by someone on another forum, which was to install a switch across the fusible link (i.e. the same as taking the big pink fuse out each time, but much less hassle as you just have to flip a switch). i can dig out the details for you if you like.

before i did this however, i contacted my MOT centre, who informed me that the lights remaining on would not in itself be an MOT failure, so i took it along without the fix.

this is where it gets weird. while it was in the MOT centre, the problem completely fixed itself. the staff didn't do anything. i didn't do anything. when i drove in it was broken. when i drove out it was working. like i said, weird. it's still working fine to this day.

there is only one thing that i did that might have made a difference, which was to change the sidelight bulbs the night before the MOT. they had been blown for weeks, but as i couldn't turn the headlights off anyway, there was no point rushing to replace them.

if this was what fixed the problem, it certainly didn't happen straight away. the following morning i drove to the MOT centre and the problem was still there. but 40 minutes later it was fixed for good (so far!)

so my advice to you (in order) would be:
1) try changing the sidelight bulbs and wait a day or so.
2) contact the MOT centre and ask a senior tester/supervisor if they would consider this problem a straight fail. if it's not a fail it'll buy you a little time, at least.
3) try the switch solution, which is only really a hack, but it gets the job done.

may i ask how the problem came about in the first place?

good luck, and sorry it's so long!