Hyundai Accent Offered in a 2 or 3 door hatchback, or 4 door sedan ,this compact offers room to seat 4 people and excellent economy.

How long to change a head & timing belt?

Old 11-27-2007, 04:23 PM
Default How long to change a head & timing belt?

This is relating to my previous post about a snapped timing belt.

So, snapped timing belt, all valves bent, slightly 'marked' pistons but not enough to cause any problem.

So, timing belt, head & associated gaskets need changing. Plus oil & oil filter.

All parts including a reconditioned head £330. OK fair enough!

Garage says labour charge is another £430. Hourly rate £35.

That's over 12hours!!!

Now I think that is probably double the time it would actually take.

My Dad, who worked as a mechanic for over 40 years says normallyabout 2-4 hours, maximum 6 with a few problems.

Anyone got an opinion? I don't mind the garage making a profit, but I think a 12 hour labour charge is daylight robbery.

Old 12-02-2007, 08:59 PM
Default RE: How long to change a head & timing belt?

i have never done work on that engine, but some engines are just a pain in the butt to work on, especially changing the valves. 12 does seem kinda high for an engine with only one head though. go get another estimate or do it yourself, have your dad help you since he probably knows what he's doing

Old 12-03-2007, 01:34 PM

It was just a straight swap for the reconned head, no valve work at all. Swap the head, new gaskets, new timing belt & that's about it!

Hmmm, I've certainly been royally screwed over.

The problem was, the car was at the garage, head taken off.....the only other option was for me to push it away by myself. The original quote doubled....then tripled....then quadrupled.....

At one point I asked then to 'put any parts in the boot & push the car onto the forecourt'. They refused, and in the UK a garage has the legal right to 'hold' a car until full payment is made or until all legal issues are resolved....can you believe that? And of course in the meantime I had no means of getting to work.

They literally had me over a barrel.

Dad lives on the other side of the country so a several hundred mile journey & tow was a little too much to expect, otherwise it would have been a trip to the breakers yard for a 'donor' head, £30 gasket set & £15 timing belt.

Oh well, you live and learn. I will certainly make sure everyone I ever meet will not go to THAT garage.

The snapped timing belt was just a case of bad luk really, but it's preventative maintenance from now on!

Old 12-26-2007, 10:37 PM

8 hrs is fair. not 12 that's hwy robbery.