Hyundai Accent Offered in a 2 or 3 door hatchback, or 4 door sedan ,this compact offers room to seat 4 people and excellent economy.

Hyundai Accent G4ea 2000 Wont start in the mornings

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2020, 09:24 AM
Default Hyundai Accent G4ea 2000 Wont start in the mornings

I have a Hyundai Accent G4ea 2000 240 000km Carburetor version. This car have been good for me for the past 14 months but started giving me a rattling sound like turperts knocking each other, then it refused to start. I bought a new starter and only drove 1 day now it refuses to start in the morning si i go to work with a bus, when its warm my wife starts the car and it runs. What could be the issue? I was now thinking of getting a low mileage engine with fuel injection so help me out on way forward.

Old 06-14-2020, 03:10 PM

Not sure of the sound you are describing, but you might check these two items.
Battery cables and connections have a way of not working very well if there is any corrosion seen or unseen when cold and connections contract then expand when warm and sometimes work. Those cables are ,if original, 20 years old and might have some corrosion internally.

The differences between a carbureted engine and a fuel injected engine are like night and day.
Carbureted engines were much more simpler. Fuel injected engines utilize a bunch of sensors to provide info to the computer whereas carb engines don't use much if any of that.
How old is the battery in your vehicle?
Will your vehicle start with a jump start when cold ?

Old 06-15-2020, 10:48 AM

Clean battery posts and cable terminals
Follow negative battery cable to chassis ground
Clean that point. Also, clean up the ignition wire to starter.

A starter relay bypass test could tell you whether the load side or control side has the issue
Load side would be starter
Control side would be the ignition switch

If it is control side then ignition switch (not lock cylinder)
There is a white plastic piece with electrical contacts inside which connects to the ignition lock cylinder
Sometimes they go bad. Easy enough for for a DIYer to do it with the proper tools.
See youtube videos for more information.

Last edited by avisitor; 06-15-2020 at 10:51 AM.
Old 06-16-2020, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by hanky
Not sure of the sound you are describing, but you might check these two items.
Battery cables and connections have a way of not working very well if there is any corrosion seen or unseen when cold and connections contract then expand when warm and sometimes work. Those cables are ,if original, 20 years old and might have some corrosion internally.

The differences between a carbureted engine and a fuel injected engine are like night and day.
Carbureted engines were much more simpler. Fuel injected engines utilize a bunch of sensors to provide info to the computer whereas carb engines don't use much if any of that.
How old is the battery in your vehicle?
Will your vehicle start with a jump start when cold ?
Thank You very much for the information, my battery was checked and is healthy, the car at times starts with jumpers and at times refuses to start even with push start. this is why i was considering an engine swap. Do you recommend me to do a full engine overhaul than swapping the motor? i was thinking of a straight forward fuel injection without computer box

Old 06-17-2020, 07:36 AM

Think about this a bit,
IF jumping it helps it to start and pushing it make no difference the only thing you are changing when jumping it is, you are providing extra electrical power to the engine and pushing it does not.
Battery cable condition and connections are the only thing you change when jumping it. I would suggest you either clean the cable connections good at the battery and the other ends where the cables connect to the engine and see if that helps or change the cables. Believe it or not , if you change an engine and still have bad cables, the replacement engine will have the same problem.
If you want to use a fuel injected engine , you will need to use all the engine wiring to accommodate all the sensor info and computer. BIG problems , not recommended/

Old 06-17-2020, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by hanky
Think about this a bit,
IF jumping it helps it to start and pushing it make no difference the only thing you are changing when jumping it is, you are providing extra electrical power to the engine and pushing it does not.
Battery cable condition and connections are the only thing you change when jumping it. I would suggest you either clean the cable connections good at the battery and the other ends where the cables connect to the engine and see if that helps or change the cables. Believe it or not , if you change an engine and still have bad cables, the replacement engine will have the same problem.
If you want to use a fuel injected engine , you will need to use all the engine wiring to accommodate all the sensor info and computer. BIG problems , not recommended/

Thank you for the information, my local dealer found the problem. The engine failed compression test so we going to have an engine overhaul

Old 06-18-2020, 05:45 AM

Sometimes you have to "Be there" , to see exactly what is happening.

Not wanting to cast doubt or a shadow on the diagnosis offered , somehow I have some reservations, but I have been wrong before, more than once. Thanks for the update.

I wonder what some of the other experienced members think about this situation, thanks, guys/gals.

Last edited by hanky; 06-18-2020 at 05:48 AM.
Old 06-21-2020, 11:49 AM

I would check and clean the automatic choke linkages and springs.

Old 06-21-2020, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by s-petersen
I would check and clean the automatic choke linkages and springs.
Thread starter posted
Originally Posted by Mcsalim
Thank you for the information, my local dealer found the problem. The engine failed compression test so we going to have an engine overhaul
Don't think choke linkages or springs were the problem

Old 06-21-2020, 09:57 PM

He didn't say the car was running poorly, or was burning a lot of oil, a $15 fix beats a couple of thousand dollar fix in my book. If it were mine, I would check the choke before spending a bunch of $$$

Last edited by s-petersen; 06-21-2020 at 10:31 PM.

Quick Reply: Hyundai Accent G4ea 2000 Wont start in the mornings