Hyundai Accent Offered in a 2 or 3 door hatchback, or 4 door sedan ,this compact offers room to seat 4 people and excellent economy.

Hyundai Warranty

Old 03-27-2006, 01:18 AM
Default Hyundai Warranty

How picky is Hyundai on the service maintenance schedule in order to keep their 100,000 mile warranty good?I did my 30,000 mile service at 32,000 miles and it looks like my 60,000 mile service will be done about at 62,000 miles.Will the couple of thousand miles over each service period hurt the compliance for the warranty in their eyes?

Old 03-28-2006, 12:48 AM
Default RE: Hyundai Warranty

Good question. Hope to hear some answers, as I only have 2090 miles on my Azera, and studying this owners manual takes an eternity. I think some lawyer wrote this book, because there is a warning about EVERYTHING. Yellow blocks all over the book. I can't remember everything about this car. There is a difference of opinion about oil changes though. Hyundai says every 3,750 miles, we like to change it every 3,000 miles, and the dealer says every 5,000 miles [they must be old fashioned].
How often are you changing your oil? There is a valve check up at 7,500 miles, and I hope I can get it in the shop at the right mileage.

Old 03-28-2006, 01:50 AM

I change my oil every 3,500 miles....i am kind of skeptical of some warranties because im sure if the motor blows they will want to go over your maintenance records and receipts with a fine toothed comb....looking for anything that can null the warranty since a new motor would be a hefty jab in their profits.Knock on wood all ive had to replace via warranty so far is a throttle sensor that went out at 19,000 miles...no hassels.In time we'll see i guess(hope not but thats life huh).

Old 03-28-2006, 06:38 PM

the easiest answer is.... its down to the dealer on how they would claim on your warranty . but it is best to keep services as close to the schedule as possible to reduce any hassles

Old 04-07-2006, 04:38 PM

My dealer is very picky. I change my own oil & use a fram filter. Oh my god, you'd think the gates of hell opened up. THATS NOT A CERTIFIED HYUNDAI OIL FILTER!! THAT COULD LEAD TO PROBLEMS IN THE FUTURE!! Daaa..yea if I decide not to ever change the oil or filter again. The tech mgr mighta turn me into ashes if he knew I was running synthetic tranny fluild. Had them take the car off the lift. I promised them they'd never see me again and promply lift whispering "focking a-holes" under my breath!!
Brant

Old 04-09-2006, 01:03 PM

Let me guess....their "certified Hyundai oil filter" probably costs 2 or 3 times more than a regular oil filter,hence more profit for their pockets every 3,000 miles for every car they sell.Like i said,they would probably go over your maintenance records and receipts with a fine toothed comb in the event they may have to replace a motor while under warranty.....sensible business for them but bad for the do-it yourself consumer who is capable of simple maintenance at a better price.

Old 04-11-2006, 03:57 AM

I used Fram filters in mine until I heard some bad things about them not being designed to Hyundais specs and could *possibly* cause a problem if warranty is ever required. So the last time I changed my oil I thought I would go to the dealer and pay mega bucks for the right thing (as far as Hyundai is concerned)
I was shocked to find out that it only cost me 50 cents more than a Fram filter from Walmart and when looking inside it , there is quite a difference in the part that I believe is the anti drain back gismold.
So for 50 cents extra I will probably continue to use the Hyudai/Kia filter at least until my warranty is a thing of the past. It's good peace of mind for me even if it isn't any better. I have never found insurance that cheap before
W.Y.

Old 04-11-2006, 10:59 AM

Thats good to know William...i'll pick one of those filters up next time at the dealership.Ive used Fram filters also the past couple of times i changed oil.The "sure grip" filters with the roughed up ends on them make it oh so easy to twist off by hand....i use to own a Trans Am and an S-10 pickup that was murder to get the filters off even with an oil filter wrench....hard to get to and a knuckle buster was the reward at the end of the job.

Old 04-12-2006, 09:16 PM

I've used Fram filters from the get go. Never have I had any issue. My 05 Accent GT has nearly 15,000 miles on her and is running fantastic. I have heard of the nasty knocks that some Hyundais have experienced but, not mine. I filled up today, $2.51 per gallon, regular unleaded, mileage on regular is up to 38.4 miles per gallon. I love it. Wife's Jeep is getting nearly 13 miles per gallon. She still won't get rid of it.
Brant

Old 04-13-2006, 12:43 AM
Super Moderator

There is a Hyundai TSB that *some* aftermarket fuel filters can cause knock. The reason is that there is a bypass valve built into the filter so that if the filter media cannot pass through enough oil, the bypass valve opens to prevent oil starvation. Fram is one of the filters that does not have a compatible bypass valve. I believe the filter Fram has that fits a Honda will also fit the Elantra filter mounting. But due to these problems, Fram has DELISTED their Hyundai Elantra applications (i.e., they do NOT sell filter for Elantras). I haven't checked if the same is true for Accents.

The TSB in question is 05-20-002, issued in July, 2005, titled "USE OF AFTERMARKET ENGINE OIL FILTERS CAUSING ENGINE KNOCKING NOISE", with an applicability of "ALL MODELS".

Here is the text of the TSB:
DESCRIPTION:
Some vehicles may experience an engine knock noise with the use of an aftermarket oil filter. Aftermarket oil filters may use different materials, construction and specifications than genuine Hyundai oil filters, which may lead to pressure variations within the engine, thus contributing to an engine knocking noise.

VEHICLES AFFECTED:
All Models

REPAIR PROCEDURE:
Perform an oil change on the vehicle and replace the aftermarket oil filter with a genuine Hyundai oil filter.

WARRANTY INFORMATION:
Normal warranty procedures apply. This is not a warranty repair.
At my local dealer, an OEM filter costs $6. Sure you can get something cheaper at Pep Boys, but in the long run, I'm not gonna bet my warranty on it.

In this thread on another forum, someone actually cut open an OEM filter and an aftermarket filter and compared them, and the OEM filter is clearly better, with more than three times the filter media area. Also on that board, there have been a few people who had engines replaced under warranty, and a few who weren't covered under warranty because there was a Fram filter on the car when it was taken in for the warranty repair. In general, Fram is a good company, but at least in the case of the Elantra, the filter that fits does NOT meet Hyundai specs and, like I said, Fram does not list a filter for the Elantra.

As for the original question, if you did your maintenance at 32k and 62k, I can't see that as a problem. If your timing belt had broken at 61k, though, you woulda been outta luck.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hyundai Warranty