Hyundai Accent Offered in a 2 or 3 door hatchback, or 4 door sedan ,this compact offers room to seat 4 people and excellent economy.

Modifying 01 Accent

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 09:59 PM
Exclamation Modifying 01 Accent

Hey guys i've recently bought an 2001 Hyundai Accent GSI 1.6L, and im thinking about tuning it up. Im only 18 and of course my budget is tight, so i need all your guys help! So im thinking about the basics first, the cold air intake, exhaust, tires/rims all the things i need to get it into a sports car shape.

So pls give me ideas on what put in it and also i live in vancouver, bc, so if you guys know any place to refer me to get it done, that will be greatly appreciated

Old 08-27-2010, 02:39 AM

I am also looking to modify my 2001 Accent.. i have recently replace the MAF sensor and my spark plugs and have been researching what to do next. i can't help you much but a lot of the work has to be done in a custom way.. if you find any information please share as i am having trouble finding any as well..

I live in Vernon, BC and we have a shop here that i was gonna talk to.. so best bet is to ask locally

Old 08-27-2010, 09:57 AM
Banned

sigh here we go again...

first off guys, know what your goals are. if you want gobs of power its just not happening with a 1.6L. sure you can turbo it, but in my opinion you're better off to spend a little more and do an engine swap (beta swap) and use a motor that can take more boost. the 1.6L is not known to take boost over 5-6psi long term very well. and still, whats the point in boosting that low?

second - know your budget. speed doesn't come cheap. if you have some larger goals (even 10hp on the cheap is rather difficult) consider if you can afford it first.

now, the mods. without getting into more expensive stuff you're looking at a new intake, exhaust and header. anything beyond that you're getting into forced induction (turbo) territory. think long and hard, it takes a good deal of money, time and planning to do it right. doing it wrong is a good way to kill an engine.

intake - generally the 1.6L responds better to a short ram intake, nobody seems to know why. kind of counter-intuitive but hey it works. get a good filter such as K&N. you will need a cone filter, probably 3". the intake piping is up to you how you want to go about it. some will buy an ebay kit and toss the crap filters to save a couple bucks. nothing wrong with that, its a metal pipe.

exhaust - do not go too big. too large can reduce your exhaust gas velocity which reduces your power and torque. i normally see 2.25" from most performance exhaust manufacturers - what little there are for these cars. your goal should be to reduce the backpressure while maintaining the gas velocity. mandrel bends are a must here. options are to buy a kit, have a shop weld one up, or even get a welder and build your own. use some manufactured ones on the net as reference for design.

header - this can be troublesome in canada. i'm over in ontario and i know that emissions would kill me. problem is, with most headers you tend to lose an o2 sensor and/or not have room for the cat due to its stock location in the car (welded to the exhaust manifold). if BC as emissions laws like ontario, this would make your car illegal for road use. your best bet is to buy one here, they can be a total ***** to make yourself and pointless if not done right - as in an 'equal length' header.

final words: there are no 'power chips', 'magic spark plugs/wires', additives, fluids, etc. that will give you any extra power. they are a scam. if its too good to be true, it probably is. please don't waste your time and money on that garbage.

only exception is changing your transmission oil to synthetic - if you drive a manual. i did not notice any difference using synthetic in the engine. if either of you are driving an automatic, give a manual swap some serious thought. it would be the best bang for the buck by far.

Old 08-30-2010, 11:03 PM
Default engine swap for an '01 Accent

Hi I own an 2001 Accent 1.5L manual.
I want to do an engine swap and am hunting
around for the best motor. Would it be possible
(Not necessarily easy) to swap a Genesis engine
into my car? I have a vague idea, but what exactly
would such a swap involve?

Thanks

Old 08-31-2010, 10:32 AM
Banned

genesis is RWD
accent is FWD

its not going to happen

Old 08-31-2010, 10:48 AM
Super Moderator

You're better off trying to install a 2.0L turbo from a Sonata than the 2.0L from a Genesis. At least the Sonata is FWD. But even that would take a lot of modifications, fabrication and computer hacking to get it to work. If you are asking how to do it, it's probably out of your skill set.

Old 09-01-2010, 10:57 PM

The short ram and muffler upgrades will help, but don't think you'll be turning tens in the 1/4. I put KYB struts on all four corners and went with 15" wheels.

Old 09-05-2010, 11:52 AM
Thumbs down Remember the golden rule kiddos

Originally Posted by zero_gravity
genesis is RWD
accent is FWD

its not going to happen

You act like its never been done before?! Sure no high school kid is going to do it, but anyone with a engine lift and dedication can do it. There's a shop around here that does it to Nissans all the time. I've seen a Harley with a small block chevy engine stuffed under the seat. If it can be done, someone will do it. Why not actually do something to help

Old 09-05-2010, 11:58 AM
Lightbulb kids these days

@ GFS

ok first off, you aren't getting a sports car into shape, you are turning an economy car into a sports car. secondly from what you listed as parts Im going to assume you have only basic knowledge and skills and suggest you get your rims, some window-tint and under-glows and not mess with anything else. No one else will know the difference anyway.

If you want to get serious, get a 3/4 race camshaft, and short stack intake, street vent the oil recirc, and get the oversized MAF sensor. get highball 99 octane gas from the local marina or airport, and you have as much power as you are going to get without tearing into the block.

Old 09-05-2010, 12:18 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by StrifeDelivery
You act like its never been done before?! Sure no high school kid is going to do it, but anyone with a engine lift and dedication can do it. There's a shop around here that does it to Nissans all the time. I've seen a Harley with a small block chevy engine stuffed under the seat. If it can be done, someone will do it. Why not actually do something to help
of course its been done, but for 99% of people out there its utterly stupid. why bother with trying to fit an engine that is too large for such a small car (speaking of engine bay clearances), mate it to a transmission that it is not designed to accept, go through all this crap and spend a lot of money when you can do something easier and better.

that would be beta swap with a good turbo setup. excellent power and its not that bad of a swap. problem solved.

so my help? putting a RWD engine into a small FWD car that is in no way designed to accept it without major modifications which even people that are good with car repairs and modifications will have trouble with is NOT WORTH THE EFFORT OR COST WHEN THERE IS A BETTER SOLUTION THAT COMES CHEAPER

there i helped. happy?