Hyundai Accent Offered in a 2 or 3 door hatchback, or 4 door sedan ,this compact offers room to seat 4 people and excellent economy.

My 2005 3 dr Accent Got Rear Ended, Seemed Minor, but...

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2008, 01:41 PM
Default My 2005 3 dr Accent Got Rear Ended, Seemed Minor, but...

I drive a 2005 3 Door Hyundai Accent...I just bought it 3 weeks ago in perfect condition...until this past weekend. I got rear ended at a red light...wait for it...by my Dad.[:'(] He's 71 years old, and has always had a tendency to pull up too close at stoplights and brake at the last minute. This time he was following me in his Dodge Caravan and managed to bump into me at a red light. It wasn't at a high rate of speed, so the damage seemed minimal, just a couple of gouges in my rear bumper from the screws in his license plate. However, since my Accent is a manual transmission, I always use my parking brake, and now it seems to catch on the rear left wheel when I release it.
So here's my question: Should I have someone check out the damage? Could it be an expensive but necessary repair?

Old 12-31-2008, 04:17 PM
Default RE: My 2005 3 dr Accent Got Rear Ended, Seemed Minor, but...

I would have it checked out because if the shoes are engaging while driving it could cause an excessive amount of heat to be building up on your rear drum. To much heat could cause some unwanted damage to parts located in the rear drum.

Old 12-31-2008, 05:06 PM
Default RE: My 2005 3 dr Accent Got Rear Ended, Seemed Minor, but...

I would have it checked out because if the shoes are engaging while driving it could cause an excessive amount of heat to be building up on your rear drum. To much heat could cause some unwanted damage to parts located in the rear drum.
I agree. Just as important is determining what has caused this. The accident could have damaged the parking brake cable, a support bracket or some other part of the rear suspension that should not be ignored. Could be coincidental but I would have it looked at asap.