Hyundai Accent Offered in a 2 or 3 door hatchback, or 4 door sedan ,this compact offers room to seat 4 people and excellent economy.

Is My Problem the Clutch Slave Cylinder or Clutch Master Cylinder?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 08:02 PM
Default Is My Problem the Clutch Slave Cylinder or Clutch Master Cylinder?

I have a 01 Accent 5sp. Recently,it won't go into gear unless I am pushing the clutch into the floor hard. Also using more force on the shifter to find the gear. The cold is not a issue. No fluids on the garage floor and both cyl's are topped up. Also no bunching of the floor mat behind the pedal.So I am led to believeit is one of the 2 parts mentioned in the title. Anyone know which one I should change? They sure seem easy and cheap enough to perform myself so I would rather go this route. If anyone is familiar with my symptoms your input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance !

Old 02-18-2008, 10:39 PM
Default RE: Is My Problem the Clutch Slave Cylinder or Clutch Master Cylinder?

I think you need to diagnose the problem a little further. You seem to know where the slave cylinder is at. Have someone depress the clutch pedal (with the engine off) while you observe the slave. If it moves in concert with the stroke of the master, the clutch is bad, not the clutch pedal system. If the clutch slave hardly moves or not at all, I suggest you try bleeding the line to remove the possability that air may have gotten in the line. Use the same process that you would use to bleed brake lines. The bleeder valve will be on the slave unit. If the master is bad, you discover that it doesn't pump fluid during the bleeding process. Once the line is properly bled and the master feels like it is developing pressure, watch the slave cylinder to see if it works properly or is leaking fluid. Remember to keep the fluid level up in the resevoir during the bleed. If the master sucks in any air, you'll have to start over. Also, if the seals in the master are leaking, you'll find that the fluid has most likely drained out the back of the cylinder into the cabin and has either collected in a rubber boot or ran the fire wall and pooled under the carpet. I think you would notice that already if such was the case.

Old 02-19-2008, 06:07 AM

The clutch was done less than 2 years ago and does not have many miles on it. Hoping for air in the lines but doubt it. Going to check it out shortly and will post what I find. Thanks for the info!

Old 03-09-2008, 07:05 PM

Check on the Slave cylinder by removing the boot. The boot usually hold the leaked fluid pretty well so it won't drip even if the seal is bad.
Seal on the Slave cylinder is more likely to fail than the Master cylinder.
The first place to check is the Slave cylinder by removing the boot, No fluid should come out if it's good.