Hyundai Accent Offered in a 2 or 3 door hatchback, or 4 door sedan ,this compact offers room to seat 4 people and excellent economy.

not happy with gas mileage

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2007, 01:47 AM
Default RE: not happy with gas mileage

i've always changed my syn every 3000 miles anyway, i just think the engine tends to run smoother with synthetic oil, its supposed to lubricate better, and since i beat the hell out of this little engine (100 mile trip in 1 hourtwice a week)i want to protect it as best i can.

Old 03-14-2007, 02:25 AM

Alright I keep a gas log of EVERY fill up I make on my car. How many Gallons I put into my car and what miliage is on the ODO. I have since day one and I have noticed an average 23-25 gallons.

NOW! I did just make a trip from Sac to San Fransisco and STILL averaged 25mpg. I was also driving close to 80 and 90 the whole way so it could be due to that factor also. Today I had my oil changed and next week I go back to have the water pump replaced (a sound I thought was a loose belt/bearing.. ick) I drove all day in traffic and I am averaging 25mpg still. I will drive the recommended 55-65mph for the best mpg possible and if it hasn't changed I'll just question it, along with how to reduce the appearance of those nasty scratches on the door panel.

I mean my dealer told me i would get horrible gas mileage until the engine broke in and possibly until I get my first oil change. she said then it would get the sticker MPG. I'm not too worried about it. 25mpg was better then my dodge Aries. That thing was a bucket that had a hole in it or something. I was getting close to 20mpg on that car. well at least it isnt like my moms 71 el camino.. That thing gets like 12 mpg on streets and 15 on the highway.

Old 03-14-2007, 02:47 AM

on my 230 mile trip to carbondale i got 30mpg, averaging around 90, the last time i made the trip i was getting around 20 mpg. but that was with less then 1000 miles on the engine

Old 03-14-2007, 10:36 AM

I have noticed that too how one tank last better than the other I also noticed once in a while the exhaust really smells. I was thinking of taking the car to a friends garage and getting an emission test done on it whenthe exhaustsmells funny. I was thinking maybe there is a loose connection somewhere in the electronics I said that to the dealer and they said that the check engine light should light up if there was anything wrong.

Old 03-14-2007, 04:58 PM

it may also depend on were you get the gas, if you are sometimes putting in gas that is 10% ethenol that might be giving you bad gas milage. in the owners manual it even says something about the 10% ethenol may give bad gas mileage. as far as some people getting better gas mileage right out of the box and others needing to break in there is an old saying that i picked up when i drove a grand prix... some cars are built on wednsday and some cars are built on friday... it seems like eventually everything levels out, so im not too worried about my friday car.

Old 03-14-2007, 06:17 PM

I always buy my gas at the same place for both the car and my truck and it is not an ethenol blend. I put the blended gas in our old Accent and I didnt like it same with my truck it seemed to ping when under load so I dont bother with it. The smell that we get is quit strong at times and other times there is no smell I have even started up my truck to see if it stinks when the car did.

Old 03-15-2007, 07:30 PM

i did notice that on theway home today from carbondale i was getting around 25 mpg with 10% ethenol gas, then i made sure to fill it up with no E gas and my mpg was back up to 30. thats averaging 87mph with the CC on most of the time

Old 03-16-2007, 03:07 AM

as far as the ethenol difference, i too have never noticed a difference in any of my cars mpg in the past (my Grand Prix had a screen that computed MPG for me too) however i have also never owned a car with such a small engine. my best guess is that the low power of this engine is making the difference in ethenol blend vs. non E gasonline more obvious... any thoughts?

Old 03-16-2007, 02:31 PM

interesting, like i side this is by far the smallest engine i've ever had so i was just making a guess. i think im gonna go to the dealership when im out running my errands today, and see if any of the techs know whats up with the engine

Old 07-23-2007, 09:15 PM

In all-city driving (stop-and-go, no highway), I got 28 mpg for a new 2007 Accent with only a few hundred miles on it.

Now, in mixed city-highway driving, I'm getting 32 mpg and in all-highway driving at about 65mph, I'm getting 41 mpg. At that time, the car had 1200 miles on it.

Also, this is a 5-speed.

regards,
A.

Quick Reply: not happy with gas mileage