Hyundai Accent Offered in a 2 or 3 door hatchback, or 4 door sedan ,this compact offers room to seat 4 people and excellent economy.

Problem with light fading and fuel consumption

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 08:57 PM
Default Problem with light fading and fuel consumption

Hi!

I have a Hyundai Accent 2005 (LC) manual 4 doors. A couple weeks ago I noticed the clock light dimming and fuel consumption on my car went way up.
Then the check engine light up a couple days later.

My friend suggested me to change the battery, spark plugs, spark plug cables and perhaps the ignition coil.

I changed the spark plugs, cables but the check engine was still on.

My battery is original, 5 yr old and giving readout of 12.1V (should be between 12.5-12.9V) so I decided to change it too. Now the check engine light is gone so I thought the problem is solved.

However I noticed fuel consumption is still high!!! And I saw the clock light fade once again. I checked the voltage on the battery when the engine is running and it was 14.4V so the alternator doesn't seem to be the problem.

I checked the resistance on the ignition coil and primary coil resistance for both terminals is 1 Ohm. The secondary coil resistance are within specs. The specs for the primary coil are 0.87 ± 10% (Ω). Thus my 1 ohm is higher than the 0.95 ohm that the specs would imply. Is it possible that my problem is the ignition coil going off?

Or else, any idea what may be the cause?

Thanks in advance, I need to learn more about my car now as I am off guarantee. (The problems arose just 60 km off the guarantee I feel so bad.)

Old 12-16-2010, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by guito
Hi!

I have a Hyundai Accent 2005 (LC) manual 4 doors. A couple weeks ago I noticed the clock light dimming and fuel consumption on my car went way up..
Clock alone acting up.... replace the clock.

Then the check engine light up a couple days later.
HINT - HINT --- Scan the PCM and TCM for DTC, base your diagnosis approach with the codes recovered

My friend suggested me to change the battery, spark plugs, spark plug cables and perhaps the ignition coil.
Parts tossing can get expensive.. Yes to battery, it 5+yr old, plugs and wires ?? Plugs every 30,000, wires at maybe 60,000, depends on what they look like.

I changed the spark plugs, cables but the check engine was still on.
Well of course, you did not access PCM with scan tool to clear the codes, let alone read the codes to know where to go looking for faults

My battery is original, 5 yr old and giving readout of 12.1V (should be between 12.5-12.9V) so I decided to change it too.
5yr old, good enough time to up and replace before it up and leave you stranded at most inopportune time

Now the check engine light is gone so I thought the problem is solved.
Nope, 2 key cycle and light came back on

However I noticed fuel consumption is still high!!!
What are the fault codes recovered ?

And I saw the clock light fade once again.
Replace the clock

I checked the voltage on the battery when the engine is running and it was 14.4V so the alternator doesn't seem to be the problem.
14.4 at the alternator, but did you check across battery terminals to verify that same voltage -0.3 volt maximum drop at battery ? Then while connected to battery, slowly add loads and see if alternator keeps up each added load.

Or else, any idea what may be the cause?
Scan for DTC, se where the PCM see fault
Stop guessing

Old 12-16-2010, 07:05 PM

Thanks for the comment!! The check light never came back on. Your idea that the clock is dead ain't bad at all! And perhaps I am hallucinating about the gas consuming faster so I am checked that now. thanks again for the comments!