Hyundai Accent Offered in a 2 or 3 door hatchback, or 4 door sedan ,this compact offers room to seat 4 people and excellent economy.

Strange Engine Noise Please Help Me Diagnose The Issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2022, 03:01 PM
Default Strange Engine Noise Please Help Me Diagnose The Issue

At first I thought it was a squeaky belt/pulley. It’s just that common high pitched engine noise that you’ll sometimes hear cars have. I’m not sure what the actual cause is tho, and I’ve done lots of googling. I want to diagnose the cause before I take it to the shop because I don’t have much money lol.

Does anyone know what it could be? My car is a 2008 Hyundai Accent.

Thank you.

Also let me know if you can’t hear the audio file, I couldn’t upload a video directly from my phone because this forum doesn’t support mp4 files.

Attached Files
Old 02-27-2022, 03:18 PM

If you don't have that much experience, you might consider this;

Stop at a/your shop and ask if they might know where the noise is coming from and a ball park figure to repair it.
Then have a second shop do the same. What you tell them for when you want to have it done, ,,,,,need a little time to get some $$$together and you could ask if there is any charge ,they might tell you if they get the job , no charge for the diagnosis/estimate. Now you have some idea what the cost could be and maybe how long to repair.

If they both suggest the same problem, chances are good. If not , get back to us with what you were told and maybe we can offer a worthwhile suggestion.
How do you feel about that?

Old 02-27-2022, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by hanky
If you don't have that much experience, you might consider this;

Stop at a/your shop and ask if they might know where the noise is coming from and a ball park figure to repair it.
Then have a second shop do the same. What you tell them for when you want to have it done, ,,,,,need a little time to get some $$$together and you could ask if there is any charge ,they might tell you if they get the job , no charge for the diagnosis/estimate. Now you have some idea what the cost could be and maybe how long to repair.

If they both suggest the same problem, chances are good. If not , get back to us with what you were told and maybe we can offer a worthwhile suggestion.
How do you feel about that?

Thank you, I had a friend look at it earlier as well who also agrees that it’s a squeaky belt and we’re gonna try the bar soap trick first. If the issue persists then i will take it to the shop. My local one does do free diagnoses, but i know garages often play up issues to make money. normally i would do it anyway for the sake of fixing the issue but i don’t have that kind of privilege at the moment :/. If the issue worsens to the point where the belt it a pulley needs replacing i will for sure take it in. Thank you for reading my post and offering your help