Hyundai Accent Offered in a 2 or 3 door hatchback, or 4 door sedan ,this compact offers room to seat 4 people and excellent economy.

Throwout bearing 2000 model Hyundai accent

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2020, 07:39 AM
Default Throwout bearing 2000 model Hyundai accent

Help! I'm doing my clutch job the first time, everything is going smoothly. I've successfully seperated the engine and transmission. I have had the flywheel resurfaced, changed the rear main seal, torqued down the resurfaced flywheel. I swapped the old throwout bearing for a new one. I'm concerned about proceeding from here as there is a 0.4 cm or so gap between the arms of the throw out bearing and the clutch forearms. The assembly still moves back and forth alone the greased shaft however if you hyperextend the assembly the throw out bearing can partly dislodge onto the spline of the transmission. Please note I have I have not yet reinstalled the clutch or pressure plate. The Haynes book I bought for my model car provides information for an earlier make of car for the throwout bearing. All the YouTube videos I have watched ans articles I have read have been unable to help me. I am at my wit's end as I don't want to disassemble the car if the throwout bearing isn't put on properly. Any information you can provide or resources you recommend I would really appreciate.

My question I guess is: Is there meant to be a gap between the clutch fork and arms of the throwout bearing, or did I drop some clips or springs inadvertently and not notice

Old 05-05-2020, 02:18 PM

If you compared the replacement bearing to the one removed and they are the same , good.
Next, when you install the trans the release bearing will be up against the pressure plate fingers. There should be a small gap between the fingers and the bearing surface when the correct clutch free ply adjustment is achieved. When the bearing is up against the fingers all the time it will cause premature wear of the release bearing and should not be allowed. As long as you placed the bearing assy in the same position as the old bearing , it should be OK.
.The clutch fork usually fits in the slot on the release bearing. Is that where you have the fingers of the clutch fork? Can't tell from the pix.

Old 05-06-2020, 07:49 PM

Hi Hanky,

Thank you for your reply!

The old and new throwout bearing are identical which is good.

I went and spoke to the technicians at the Hyundai dealership near me and they assured me that the configuration I had was correct. The length of the slave cylinder arm will prevent over extension of the throwout bearing. They said that there was no clip to hold the throwout bearing to the clutch fork, and that the gap between the two was okay.

Apparently the bearing will be pushed/thrown off the pressure plate when you disengaged the clutch.

The clutch fork is clipped into the pivot ball, with a little wire retainer

I have now proceeded to attached the clutch disc and pressure plate.

Thank you again for your knowledge

Old 05-07-2020, 08:02 AM

Don't know if you received a dummy input shaft to make sure the disc is properly aligned when you alternately tighten the pressure plate bolts.. Remember the input shaft of the trans must go into that disc spline. and if not aligned perfectly you won't get the trans in completely.
Another tip, DO NOT allow the trans to hang on the clutch disc at any time !! If you can use 2 guide studs to help align and support the trans during installation, it makes the job much easier.

Old 05-08-2020, 05:46 AM

I bought a clutch alignment tool/dummy shaft in addition to the clutch kit. When installing the disc I wiggled the clutch disc on the dummy shaft to center it as much as possible before installing the transmission.

I was attempting to align the transmission and engine last evening. I thought the jack was still under the transmission as I was aligning the transmission. Turns out the hyraulic jack I was using to support the transmission had lowered itself ( I was looking on from above the transmission). The transmission had hung off the clutch disc. I did some reading from your last comment. The article I read said a warped clutch disc can cause shaking vibration, difficulties in shifting or worse if the clutch disc heats up.

I am taking off the pressure plate now to see if there is any warping. If the disc is warped I will replace the disc. Do you had any advice on what to replace other than that or what other precautions I should take?

I really value your input Hanky, you have helped me a lot.

Old 05-08-2020, 05:49 AM

I'll see if I have some cylinder metal to act as a rail/guide stud or if my local automotive store had a guide stud. That is a really good idea and would prevent the transmission from hanging off the clutch disc in the future

Old 05-08-2020, 07:45 AM

All you need to do is get 2 or 3 bolts the same size as those that hold the trans in place, but about 3 inches long. Cut off the heads of the bolts with a hacksaw and cut a slot in the end with no threads on it .That way after you slide the trans in place, and install at least one bolt to hold it the trans in place, now you can use a screwdriver to remove the temporary guide studs.
Another tip, place the trans in any gear before attempting to install. Now when you are ready to get the splines on the input shaft to line up with those on the clutch disc, you can move the output shaft of the trans to get the splines to line up and go together much easier.

Old 05-09-2020, 02:44 AM

Both are really good tips. I've just cut done some 10M 1.25 70 mm bolts to use as guides. They. are the same thread and diameter as my transmission bolts. I checked to see if a flathead screwdriver would fit in the cut end which it does.

I took out the clutch disc. It looks like it has a 5° or so angle to it. From what I have read the clearance for a clutch disc can be as little 0.4 mm either side so a 5° angle off level would cause the disc to disengage. No where is open locally for me to get a clutch disc this weekend, which is a crying shame as I cannot won't be complete the job this weekend. I wish anywhere I had read had mentioned about the transmission not hanging from the clutch disc (not that it happened intentionally just so I could watch out for it).

Thank you for letting me know, I would have installed a bent disc and probably would have had to pull the car apart again. From what I had read it should just be the clutch disc that is damaged not the pressure plate or flywheel as well. If you know differently please do let me know.
​​​

Old 05-14-2020, 03:11 AM

Hey I've just received the new (unbent clutch disc). I've tried twenty + times to align the transmission however it does not want to align. I don't want to force the transmission or draw it in with bolts. Can you put the transmission in gear once it is off the engine or should I have done this before I took the car apart?

Old 05-14-2020, 03:15 AM

All good, just figured it out. Thank you for the tip. I'll let you know how it goes

Quick Reply: Throwout bearing 2000 model Hyundai accent