Hyundai Accent Offered in a 2 or 3 door hatchback, or 4 door sedan ,this compact offers room to seat 4 people and excellent economy.

Tpms

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 04:13 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by gtx_slotcar
Really, I've gotten along without it for over 45 years of driving and never wished it was done automatically for me, and in all that time nobody has ever said to me that they wished it was done automatically for them. It may have been on your "wish list" for years, but not on mine. I'd like to have the choice. It's too bad to lose 3 to 3.5 mpg when you don't need to. It's just my opinion.
You are not losing 3 to 3.5 mpg just from using the A/C. That's just not true.

And as far as having a choice, you don't need one. The A/C makes the defog/defrost work BETTER. The choice to not use it is a foolish one when you have A/C. That's why it's automatic.

Old 01-25-2011, 05:05 PM

I respect your opinion, but I don't agree. If my windshield is totally clear (defrosted), then nothing can make it better. It can only get 100% clear.

Of course I can't speak for this Accent, but I can for other cars I've owned including a Kia. In town I'd lose about 10% fuel economy with AC. All around, like driving to work and stuff, I'd lose about 8%. On the turnpike it didn't matter much. My daughter will be driving along the coast, 35 miles each way, and might average 30 mph on the trip. I think she'll be in the 10% loss range.
The difference in mpg I'm stating isn't a guess. I've measured it several times. It is what it is. Even with my Explorer I reset the trip meter every time I fill up and check my mileage.
Not that it matters (since I've measured it myself), but here's part of an article from Auto Express from 2008.

Air-conditioning
The first test simply involved pushing a button on the centre console to activate the air-con. There was a slight change in engine revs as Alan did it, then he and Anthony headed out on to the route.
Sixteen minutes later, they were back – with some dramatic results. “It’s made an eight per cent difference,” explained Anthony. “The mpg has gone from the baseline of 30.5mpg to 28mpg.” His computer highlighted the biggest difference was on the city course. “If I isolate that 0.8-mile stage from the whole route, Alan was getting only 20.2mpg: it was 25.6mpg on the baseline run.” He explained that because the engine revs were lower, the vehicle is running slower, so there’s an effect on economy.

Old 01-26-2011, 08:14 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by gtx_slotcar
I respect your opinion, but I don't agree. If my windshield is totally clear (defrosted), then nothing can make it better. It can only get 100% clear.
You're not understanding. It's not about AFTER it's clear, it's about CLEARING the windshield. When the windshield is fogged up and NOT CLEAR, A/C will clear it quicker. Once it's clear, there is no need to run the HVAC on Windshield Defog so you move it to the Floor Only setting. That turns off the A/C but still direct some air flow to the windshield to keep it clear. See the pages of the owners manual I posted.

Old 01-26-2011, 12:21 PM

I understand perfectly well what's going on. Sure it works, as long as you want the air someplace else along with the windshield. And, after all, you don't have to stand on one leg and drive from the back seat, so it's not really a big deal.
The old way works for both of us, you just have to push one button. The new way either reduces mpg or directs air where I don't want it, which you seem to like, but I don't. Both ways defrost the windshield and keep it defrosted. The old way, if I needed to defrost it in a real hurry I could click the AC button.
I still think this is a great car for what she needs. It'll get her through this semester and the next 4 years of med school. We paid $7995 for a 2011 car with AC. A tremendous value. Not having the flexibility in the AC controls isn't a deal breaker. Some people might want them to choose their radio presets, too, but I'd definately draw the line there.