Hyundai Accent Offered in a 2 or 3 door hatchback, or 4 door sedan ,this compact offers room to seat 4 people and excellent economy.

Weak Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2008, 06:40 PM
Default Weak Brakes

My wife has a 2000 Accent and the brakes are getting progressivly weaker. We have had the car for years and now for the last few months the brakes are getting weaker and are squealing. I have taken to to a brake place to have them look at the rotors and pads and they said we have 75 percent left. I was just wondering if this is a common problem and what the solution to it is. I am a VW huy and this car isn't what I am used to at all. I am just hoping someone can help me out. Thank you and if you need any more info let me know. It is front disk and rear drum, not sure if it is like that on all of them. Thanks again.

Old 11-15-2008, 10:05 PM
Default RE: Weak Brakes

I have taken to to a brake place to have them look at the rotors and pads and they said we have 75 percent left.
Air bubbles in the line would definately diminish the braking action, dangerously so since it doesn't take much air for complete failure. A leaky vacuum booster would make the pedal harder to push. I don't beleive either condition would cause the front brakes to squeal. I doubt the brake shop pulled the calipers and actually looked at the pads. I would jack the car up on stands, remove the front wheels and remove the calipers. If the pads are the type where the friction material is attached with brass rivets, the pads could be down to the rivets and would still look reasonably good through the inspection hole. You might find a piece of gravel or other foreign material stuck in the caliper that could cause this problem. Basically, until the brakes are dismantled, everyone is guessing what the problem is.