Hyundai Accent Offered in a 2 or 3 door hatchback, or 4 door sedan ,this compact offers room to seat 4 people and excellent economy.

What would cause a car to jerk while driving?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 07:49 AM
Question What would cause a car to jerk while driving?

Hi,

I have a Hyundai Accent GVS 1.4 Petrol version car (2004 manual transmission model).
Recently while i was driving back home, the car starting jerking when I slowed down and accelerated back. It jerked once and sometimes a couple of times, every time i slowed down and accelerated and then would go steady. Previously when I slowed down to the same speeds in same gear positions this never happened.
I have checked the speed vs rpm ratio and there is no change as compared to previous readings I collected.
I had got a new fuel pump about 6-8 months back.

What would be the problem and what is the suggested fix???

Regards,
Swetal Gajjar

Old 03-04-2012, 05:45 PM

Mine was doing that. It turned out to be misfire from old spark plugs. New plugs did the trick.

Old 03-05-2012, 08:54 AM

Thanks, bmetzgar

Old 04-30-2014, 11:19 PM

i'am having the same issue even after the spark plug changing> even on odle if gear is changed, the whole car jerks. doesnt hapen when engine is cool.
any help??

Old 05-05-2014, 06:19 PM

Wouldn't that be a fuel related problem.....like bad filters, bad fuel injectors or even contaminated fuel? Just asking.....

Old 03-27-2023, 01:31 PM
Default Car Jerks when slowing down

Read this comprehensive guide on car jerking when slowing down reasons and solution. Read Here

Old 03-27-2023, 05:54 PM

I didn't see any mention of a possible problem with the torque converter clutch (TCC) not disengaging when slowing down.

There could be a few reasons for that , but if all the other suggested checks don't produce anything, the TCC is a good area to investigate.

Old 06-05-2023, 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by swetalgajjar
Hi,

I have a Hyundai Accent GVS 1.4 Petrol version car (2004 manual transmission model).
Recently while i was driving back home, the car starting jerking when I slowed down and accelerated back. It jerked once and sometimes a couple of times, every time i slowed down and accelerated and then would go steady. Previously when I slowed down to the same speeds in same gear positions this never happened.
I have checked the speed vs rpm ratio and there is no change as compared to previous readings I collected.
I had got a new fuel pump about 6-8 months back.

What would be the problem and what is the suggested fix???

Regards,
Swetal Gajjar
The severe judder and bouncing sensation when pulling away from cold could be attributed to a few potential causes:
  1. Engine misfire: An engine misfire can cause the car to shake and judder. It can be caused by various factors, such as faulty spark plugs, ignition coils, or fuel injectors.
  2. Transmission issues: A malfunctioning transmission or torque converter could cause the judder when accelerating. This can result from worn-out components or problems with the transmission fluid.
  3. Suspension problems: Faulty or worn-out suspension components can cause excessive bouncing or vibrations, particularly when encountering bumps or uneven road surfaces.
Regarding the acceleration delay, it's possible that it could be related to the transmission or throttle response:
  1. Transmission response: If the transmission is slow to engage or shift gears, it may cause a delay in acceleration. This could be due to issues with the transmission fluid, solenoids, or sensors.
  2. Throttle response: In some cases, a delay in throttle response can be caused by a problem with the electronic throttle control system or throttle position sensor. It's worth having these components checked and tested.
Since your dealer has already performed some inspections and made attempts to fix the issue, it might be beneficial to seek a second opinion from another qualified mechanic or a specialized auto repair shop. They may have more experience with diagnosing and troubleshooting similar issues on your specific car model.

Providing them with detailed information about your car's symptoms, along with any records or documentation from previous inspections, can assist in their investigation. They may need to perform further diagnostic tests, such as checking for error codes, conducting a thorough transmission inspection, or examining the suspension components, to pinpoint the exact cause of the problems you're experiencing.

Remember to keep all communication with the dealer and any repair shops documented, as it may be helpful if you need to escalate the issue or refer to it in the future.