Hyundai Accent Offered in a 2 or 3 door hatchback, or 4 door sedan ,this compact offers room to seat 4 people and excellent economy.

Why wont accent start in cold

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 01:43 AM
Default No spark No fuel

I've been having issues starting my 2003 Accent. I had a friend hook up a fancy scanner tonight. I now have more questions than answers. With the engine off, the engine load is 100%. The TPS wide open is 78, should be 98. While trying to start, there is no spark and the fuel pump relay is set to 'off'. So what would cause this to happen. It will turn over fine, but nothing happens. Oddly enough, when it gets warm, it will start fine. All temp sensors were reading the same as outside air. Its a 1.6 engine.

Old 11-22-2011, 11:39 PM

One of the most common causes of no fuel/no spark symptoms is a bad crankshaft position sensor.

Old 12-02-2011, 12:31 PM

Ok, one year after my original post I finally figured out the problem...... Crank shaft position sensor. Now before I hear the "I told you so's" I want to explain why I didn't think it was the crank sensor originally. I had just replaced it two months before with a brand new sensor. Also, I stuck a hair dryer on it with no avail. Apparently the sensor was sheepish about the cold. I hooked an ohm meter up to the old sensor and then threw it into the freezer. There was a difference in resistance, it was .87 warm, .72 cold.

The way I figured it out was to have a friend hook a $4000 scanner upto my car. It showed no signal from the crank. Thanks for everyone's help on this issue!

Old 12-27-2011, 05:45 PM

Just another thought, even though you have solved your trouble, a friend had the same issue, it turned out to be the Oxy sensor.

Old 01-05-2019, 10:52 PM
Exclamation Hard Start in Cold Weather

I will get right to the point... the fix is to make sure the Crankshaft Position Sensor is pushed all the way into its mounting location (hole) in the block. Most often you will find that the rubber o-ring on the sensor prevents sensor from seating all the way into the block. Should the o-ring present a major problem in trying to seat the sensor, you can get another o-ring or delete it and use an RTV sealant (that can handle the engine temperature) instead. Once the Crankshaft Position Sensor is properly seated the cold start issue should cease.

Technical explanation: When said sensor is not seated properly, the gap between sensor and Reluctor Ring (on crankshaft) is is larger than it should be... this results in a weaker electrical signal to the sensor and; therefore, the signal to the computer that instructs the fuel injectors to operate will be too weak to initiate injector operation and the engine will not start.

Why only when cold? Signal strength from crank sensor is dependent upon two things: 1) the gap between sensor and reluctor ring and 2) how fast (rpm) the reluctor ring is turning. Cold weather causes available battery power to be weaker and motor oil to be thicker... result is lower crank speed (RPM).

This fix was found through weeks of research, a lot of trial and error, and quite an expense (new plugs, wires, coil pack, fuel sending unit, and fuel pressure regulator). Should you be looking for a code on your scanner (or Auto Zones scanner, or Pep Boys scanner....)... not going to happen as a trouble code will only appear if the sensor is bad (open coil); sensor is not bad, it is just not properly seated into the block.