Hyundai Accent Offered in a 2 or 3 door hatchback, or 4 door sedan ,this compact offers room to seat 4 people and excellent economy.

Wierd Accent Issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2007, 04:06 PM
Default Wierd Accent Issues

Hey everyone....i have a 2001 Accent GL, which I have modified by running an electric supercharger through the intake via an intercooler. I had my transmission replaced about a year and a half ago (20,000 miles ago), but it has never been right. Lately, for about the past two weeks, the car has almost choked out on me when I start it in the morning- after I turn it on, and it cycles down into idle, the rpms drop to around 500 and the car sputters and seems to want to stall, but it always catches itself after about 10-15 seconds and runs ok then. Other times, when I am driving, the rpms skyrocket and hold for a short time, then the car bucks and all is well again. I have noticed that oftentimes the car seems as though it doesnt want to shift and will stick before it shifts with a jolt. Its an automatic with 69,500 miles on it. The two problems seem like two different things- emissions and tranny- but I am convinced they have to be related. Keep in mind I did not tinker with the motor or tranny at all, only the intake and Ive been told by several mechanics that it wont hurt. Any ideas what could be going on? My car wont throw any cars, so the mechanics are useless. Please help; I want to turbocharge it, but am afraid to until I know the car is sound.

Old 09-21-2007, 07:54 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Wierd Accent Issues

Idoubt the intake mod is the cause of your problem. My guess is that you have a bad sensor, either the Throttle Position Sensor, the Crankshaft Position Sensor, or the Transmission Input or Output Speed Sensor. Those seem to be the ones that have problems the most. It could also be the wheel speed sensor.

Basically, when you start getting bad sensor readings, the electronics don't know what to do to make the car run properly and end up commanding the car to do weird stuff, kind of what you're talking about.

My Hyundai mechanic said if it just plain shuts off but doesn't throw any codes, it's usuallythe Crankshaft Position Sensor, if that's any help.

Old 07-14-2009, 09:17 AM

I am having the same problem. I already replaced the Crankshaft sensor. Any other suggestions? I also have a think black soot in my tail pipe. What would that mean?