Check engine, car stalls and dies. Crankshaft sensor signal problem solved - Hyundai Forum - Hyundai Enthusiast Forums

Hyundai Atos Predominantly sold in Europe, the Atos is the smallest of the Hyundai lineup offering European sub-compact styling.

Old 01-28-2018, 05:37 AM

Default Check engine, car stalls and dies. Crankshaft sensor signal problem solved

Hello there !!
My Atos MX 1.0 2001 developed a engine sensor problem, when driving the engine light came on and engine started coughing and stalled in a way that reminds of turning of ignition all of the suden. After engine shut down it self a start was not possible immediately and same fault occured a couple of times. When searching for faults my first thougt was crankshaft sensor failure due to car started again and this problem happened a few times more.

When diagnosing it faultcode came up as faulty camshaft sensor. I replaced it, problem remained so i went throug conectors and cables simply by starting the car and wiggling all sensor cables and wire loom parts. Glitches can occure when car vibrates.
I found that my car died instantly while touching conection to crankshaft sensor located above the altenator. The problem was a glitch in the conector between harness and sensor cable. The glitch was caused by poor connection and vibration over time.

I think its well worth to check all wiring connectors for glitches before replacing sensors, this is a weak spot in all cars more or less. The "sensor failure" scanner codes may simply be just a glitch in the wiring. To prevent this problem from occuring again i removed the connectors between wiring loom and sensor and solder the cables. Car runs just great and it was a cheap and simple fix.