Hyundai Azera A Hyundai like you've never seen before.

Gas Consumption

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2007, 01:50 AM
Default RE: Gas Consumption

If you are manually calculating your MPG, you only need to fill your tank the same way each time. If you stop at the first click, do that every time. If you top off (a no-no for the environment) then top off each time. By the way, where do you live that still hasattendants who will pump gas for you?

If you use the trip computer, it does not matter how much you put in the tank. The computer keeps track of total fuel vs. total miles driven. You can reset the trip meter, but do not reset the MPG each time.The longer the computer tracks the fuel usage the more accurate the numbers become. When you reset the MPG display, you destroy all that built up data. The only time I reset is if I am beginning a long road trip and I don't want the previous city driving to influence the highway MPG.

Old 01-04-2007, 08:31 PM

I have found that the #1 reason my average mileage is negatively affected is because of where I live and that I obey the speed limits. When we go from home to the small town we live in about 10% of the trip is 40 mph or over, the remainder is 30-35 mph and there are a number of traffic lights to contend with. My Azera does not shift in to overdrive until it reaches approx. 40 mph and the slightest hill causes it to downshift. Re-set your computer and check it at a somewhat sustained 25-35 mph and see what yours shows. When we go to Ft Worth at 60-65 mph I will average 28-30 depending on stoplights encountered, high temperatures, etc. When calculating mixed driving for 1000+ the computer reads 21.9.

Rogerf

Old 01-06-2007, 04:28 PM

Rogerf,
Slower trafficmakes itdifficult to realize best fuel economy, unless you can change the 'time' you are travelling to "off-peak" travel times with fewer cars on the road.
In general, cars driving at a steady speed of 42-46 M.P.H. will obtain best fuel mileage. Even a steady 50 mph will result in excellent mileage, but today we all know that this is often not practical.
Maybesome Azera owners could share their highest mpg with us, and at what speed they were driving.Winston Azera already stated he has obtained 36.4 mpg on the highway.
NOTE: Miles per tankful alone does not really assist us with the miles per gallon.

Old 03-10-2007, 01:13 AM
hal

I've hadmy Azera (withALL the options)in WV for a year now and get 17.0 in town.Going 55mph on the highway (Ohio and fairly flat)gets about 28 while 85mph gets 20 (West Virginia...all hills!!!) I always drive faster than everybody else. I think it's doing pretty well considering.

Old 03-20-2007, 02:16 PM

When you post here about gas mileage please indicate if you are reading the dashbord gage or dividing miles driven by the gallons used. On my Azera there is a definite difference. On the same fillup.

Old 03-30-2007, 03:06 PM

The on dash computer is a "rolling average" calclated every half mile... when calculating the old fashion way, it is an average for the whole distance you travelled between fillups.

Old 03-30-2007, 03:12 PM

Winston Azera already stated he has obtained 36.4 mpg on the highway.

While I dont dispute that Winston Azera saw the computer read 36.4mpg, since I also saw these numbers appear, I think it is important to understand that this is likely coasting on the highway while on a ever so slight downgrade. Like I previously posted, it is a rolling average. It is entirely possible that on a very long .5% downgrade that you really dont have to press the gas pedal at all to maintain speed, and at this point, your agerage will go way up...