Hyundai Azera A Hyundai like you've never seen before.

Horrible Grinding / Rubbing sound...

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2007, 01:27 PM
Default Horrible Grinding / Rubbing sound...

Hello Everyone-

Seems we all are noise engineer's when it comes to the Azera huh?
At first I thought, wow am I expecting to much from this car? Well I sure am especially with 24k miles on our 2006 Ultimate which now makes an AWEFUL noise from the rear of the car...

The sound is LOUD at 10-25mph then fades away to zero at 55+ mph. And has a tone of tapping, raspy grinding, and rubbing with the "Whump" of the tire rotation. Meaning the sound has the tire rotation sound of "whummmp-whump-whiiimp" mixed with the other sounds. It changes when the speed of the car changes. What I initially thought was, we had a bad wheel bearing or brake pads. Well I inspected all brakes and they are fine. Brakes stop perfect, yet the sound quites down slightly under breaking...
So with that find of quieting down under slight breaking between 10-20mph. There is something wrong with the left rear braking system. I took a trip in the TRUNK [:@] with my wife driving to find the damn problem. Okay I have really narrowed it down now...
The E-Brake is connected to small drum brakes inside the rear disc rotors (which expand and hold the car when you press down the e-brake pedal). Exact same type of setup as my 1998 Volvo S90 (which never has problems).
So I drove the Azera at 15mph (when the noise is at the loudest point) and applied the parking brake lever down fairly hard............... OH MAN...... The sound went away 100%. It's the drum brake pads inside the driver rear disc that's got a problem!!!

So I will take it back to the dealer and have the service writer put what I found. I hate it when you explain the problem to a 'T' and then they write, "customer states there is a noise coming from rear of vehicle." OH MAN... I go nuts, and tell them to write down what I actually said to help the darn techs![sm=headbang.gif]

Okay enough ranting & raving, I will keep you all posted on how we fix the issue completly.

[sm=interesting.gif] *ANYONE else with this issue please post!!*

Old 12-10-2007, 02:58 PM
Default RE: Horrible Grinding / Rubbing sound...

DEALERSHIP fixed the rear brake. I knew it was the drivers rear brake... So they said, "we adjusted the brakes and cleaned them." I didn't argue since the sound is gone.

So I will keep everyone posted on how it works out.

Laters

Old 01-03-2008, 09:35 PM

Amazing! Give credit for that one to you, not to the T/W. Haven't had this problem yet. Do you use the parking brake regularly? I don't, but did today, and noticed that it doesn't hold the car back muchif you drive off without releasing the brake. Howzabout an automatic brake release, like my '98 Buick? How's it going with the cracked dash?

Old 01-03-2008, 11:54 PM

We use the parking brake 90% of the time. Ours holds the car fairly well actually. The dash is great got a complete new one. I will will post a photo of it.

Hope you have a great New Year!