Hyundai Elantra While not much larger than the accent, the Elantra offers similar room, but a sportier look and feel, as well as more power.

'05 Elantra won't start, no noise, can't jump

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 09:36 PM
Default '05 Elantra won't start, no noise, can't jump

Okay, chronologically. Couldn't unlock doors with key remote and noticed lights didn't flash. Unlocked with key and the alarm didn't go off. When I tried to start the car, there was no noise whatever. No chugging from the starter, no electronic clicking sound, absolutely nothing. No interior lights, radio or display. Roommate tried to jump the car and as soon as he connected to his battery, my alarm started going off. He kept taking the cables on and off [:@] so I can't say for sure what made the alarm stop but I was trying to use the remote control to do it. Finally, he re-connected and the alarm wasn't going off but whenever I tried to turn it over... nothing. While we were connected, still no electricity to any accessories.

Could this be the battery, even though jump-starting didn't work? I had it replaced a couple months ago and the car has been starting without any issues... making me think it's not the battery, starter or alternator. Ignition Fuse in the engine compartment didn't look blown (not that I'd necessarily know what I was looking for and it wasn't the kind of fuse you can see through).

Argh, it just mysteriously gave up on life. Please, please help me make my Hyundai want to live again!! I terrified of being totally ripped off at the dealer.

Old 05-06-2008, 07:49 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: '05 Elantra won't start, no noise, can't jump

Make sure the battery cables are tight and not corroded. Check all ground cables.

Old 05-07-2008, 06:48 AM

check and make sure the alarm is disabled, that can cause a no crank situation

Old 05-07-2008, 10:26 AM

Turns out it was just the battery. Roadside Assistance came out and did everything in the correct order and it turned right over. The clock, alarm, keyless entry and dome lights don't work -- I'll take it Hyundai for that. Thanks!

Old 05-07-2008, 10:43 AM
Super Moderator

Check the fuses for those items first. Those problems could be as simple as a few blown fuses.

Old 05-07-2008, 01:14 PM
Super Moderator

Check Fuse 25 in the passenger compartment fuse box. That's the one that controls all those functions. There should be a spare fuse in the fuse box (look at the chart on the back of the coin bin). I think Fuse 25 is labeled Room Lamp.