Hyundai Santa Fe This compact sport utility vehicle offers the buyer the safety of an SUV without the hefty price tag or fuel bill.

Frustrated.. Santa Fe 2.7 Won't Start- What else Can I try?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2010, 07:35 AM
Question Frustrated.. Santa Fe 2.7 Won't Start- What else Can I try?

Anyone had similar issue? I have a 2004 Santa Fe 2.7, 2wd. Vehicle sat for several months. Required a jump to start then drove about 50 miles, turned off and wouldn't restart. (dash lights only). Charged battery overnight and vehicle started fine for the next couple of days. Now will not start with jump either. Engine not cranking at all dash lights etc. only, . Replaced battery, the alternator checked out fine. Replaced neutral safety switch. Have tried to start in neutral, reverse, etc. no go. vehicle starts up only when manually jump the starter. Replaced ignition switch also. Also, wondering why it would jump start with cables before and then suddenly will not. Any wisdom appreciated. Thank You

Last edited by sipos; 12-30-2010 at 10:46 PM. Reason: additional information
Old 12-30-2010, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by sipos
Anyone had similar issue? I have a 2004 Santa Fe 2.7, 2wd. Vehicle sat for several months. Required a jump to start then drove about 50 miles, turned off and wouldn't restart. (dash lights only). Charged battery overnight and vehicle started fine for the next couple of days.

Now will not start with jump either. Engine not cranking at all
Solid CLICK when key turned to "START " position ?

Replaced battery, the alternator checked out fine.
Was the alternator tested while it was running, or engine off ?

Replaced neutral safety switch.
Why ? You stated car cranked previously, you likely spent $$ to compund your problems/add kink to diagnosis

Have tried to start in neutral,
Ok, we allow engine crank to fire in "N"

reverse,
Not allowed to start in gear, we don't allow that, unless somebody manually by-pass safety parts

vehicle starts up only when manually jump the starter.
Then you need to diagnose that circuit

Replacing ignition coil next.
Why, ignition coil not make the engine crank

Also, wondering why it would jump start with cables before and then suddenly will not. Any wisdom appreciated. Thank You

Use a voltmeter that displays voltage numbers, test light is not valid testing tool.

Old 12-30-2010, 09:19 PM

Now will not start with jump either. Engine not cranking at all
Solid CLICK when key turned to "START " position ?
There was no click at all. Dash lights
Replaced battery, the alternator checked out fine.
Was the alternator tested while it was running, or engine off ?
Tested on the car at Auto Zone (after we could still jump start it). Removed later when no longer would start with a jump or new battery, took to Auto Zone and they said it was Good

Replaced neutral safety switch.
Why ? You stated car cranked previously, you likely spent $$ to compund your problems/add kink to diagnosis
It only cranked when it started with a jump when we first got it. We had to tow it home because it would not start with a jump and there was no crank or click at all. Now has new battery. It has power going to the starter but none going to the solenoid, did use a test light...

Have tried to start in neutral,
Ok, we allow engine crank to fire in "N"
(there is no crank in any gear)

reverse,
Not allowed to start in gear, we don't allow that, unless somebody manually by-pass safety parts

vehicle starts up only when manually jump the starter.
Then you need to diagnose that circuit
Thank you, can you explain the proper procedure to go about this?

Replacing ignition coil next.
Why, ignition coil not make the engine crank
Replaced the ignition switch, Very Sorry. Not the coil

Also, wondering why it would jump start with cables before and then suddenly will not. Any wisdom appreciated. Thank You

Thank you for taking your time to reply, pretty puzzled right now.

Old 12-31-2010, 09:57 AM
Banned

my advice is to see a mechanic, i don't normally say it but you're replacing parts at random without any testing or logic behind it. that is not how car repair is done.