Hyundai Elantra While not much larger than the accent, the Elantra offers similar room, but a sportier look and feel, as well as more power.

08 Elantra No Start Following Fuel Filter and Fuel Injector Replacements

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2020, 10:38 AM
Default 08 Elantra No Start Following Fuel Filter and Fuel Injector Replacements

Hi All,

First post because I am stumped.

History:
2008 Elantra engine light came on a while back. Scanned for code which pointed to oxygen sensor fault. Replaced the up and down oxygen sensors, cleared the error, drove for 15 minutes and the error returned.
Next, I picked up some noid lights to check electrical going to the fuel injectors. They all tested fine so no issue there.
Next, I picked up a mechanic stethoscope and listened for the clicking on the original fuel injectors. I heard strong clicking on one of them, the other three sounded a bit faint comparatively speaking so I decided to buy brand new Beck Arnley fuel injectors. I read that it's recommended to change fuel filter when you change the injectors to ensure clean fuel end to end so I picked up a Beck Arnley fuel filter as well.

Last night, I started the work by pulling the fuel pump fuse, unscrewing the gas cap then running the engine until it burned up the fuel in the line and died. Then, I disconnected the batter negative pole and got to work on the part installs.

I installed the new fuel filter in the fuel pump housing then reinstalled it. I was extremely careful with everything and I would be shocked if I did any damage to the fuel pump or fuel pump housing assembly while changing the filter and carefully placing back into the gas tank, sealing it up, etc.. I was also very careful to ensure no contaminants entered the gas tank while I did this.

Next, I went to the engine compartment and went to work on the fuel injectors. I disconnected the electrical from the fuel injectors then disconnected the fuel line from the fuel injector rail. Unbolted the injector rail from the engine block and pulled it out. Then I installed the brand new fuel injectors. One thing to note is that I did not add any lubricant or grease or anything to the O-Rings when I put them into the fuel rail and the other O-rings for the end that goes into the engine - any thoughts on whether this might cause a problem/impact the air-tight seal? At any rate, I installed the fuel rail with the new injectors, put everything back together and walking tall, feeling proud of myself, got in the car to fire it up.

I put the key to the on position a number of times to prime the fuel line. I could hear the fuel pump going to work. Tried to fire it up and it wanted to turn over but didn't. So I got the starter fluid and sprayed some into the intake. Turned the key and the car started up and ran for about 15-30 seconds before stalling out. Tried this a second time with the same result. So I went and asked my wife to give me a hand...I pulled the fuel line from the fuel rail and had her prime the pump while I watched the fuel line and when she primed it the first couple of times, no fuel came out. The third time she primed it, fuel gushed out so I quickly pushed the fuel line back into the fuel rail and bolted it down. Primed it a few more times, tried to start the car up and same result. Sounded like it wanted to turn over but didn't.

At this point, I am thinking I may need to test fuel pressure, but the geniuses at Hyundai didn't include a Schrader valve and the only place to get a fuel pressure test adapter for the fuel rail is from Hyundai themselves and they don't like helping do it yourselfers. I think I can grab an adapter from a third party but I don't know if it is an 11mm or 16mm I need - does anyone know this off hand?

Anyway, if anyone has any ideas or suggestions based on the details I provided, I would be eternally grateful. Outside of the engine light, the vehicle ran fine before I tried to be my own mechanic lol. If pictures help, I am more than happy to go snap some and attach them to this thread. Thanks in advance everyone.

Old 09-12-2020, 01:34 PM

You might see if the fuel injector fuse is ok, you could also try reinstalling the original injectors as a test. Usually when I work on a car, I only replace one part at a time and check if it still runs, that way I know what I did to kill the car, and it makes for easy troubleshooting.(hint for next time)

Old 09-24-2020, 10:51 AM

Epilogue - I ended up completely redoing the whole procedure for the injectors and filter, but this time I rolled the dice and installed a new fuel pump also. Problem solved.

Old 09-24-2020, 11:09 AM

Thanks for getting back and letting us know, I'm sure it will help someone else in the future!
Did you find anything suspect, except for replacing the fuel pump?

Old 09-24-2020, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by Mamcconley
Epilogue - I ended up completely redoing the whole procedure for the injectors and filter, but this time I rolled the dice and installed a new fuel pump also. Problem solved.
Did this solve the diagnostic trouble codes for theO2 sensors?
It is strange how the fuel pump would have failed while replacing the fuel filter and injectors????

Old 09-24-2020, 03:54 PM

It did NOT resolve the engine light issue and O2 sensor errors. However, I found some spark plug firing errors also, pulled the plugs and see some oil on them. Just wrapped up my timing belt replacement kit, serpentine belts and will be replacing the valve cover gasket and spark plug tube seals this weekend. No idea if the engine light will come back once i get it off the jack stands, but I'll keep you guys in the loop and will continue my research if/when it comes back. I'll find the problem eventually.

Old 09-26-2020, 05:21 AM

As you know by this time "Codes don't always point to sensors."
If you can please provide the codes you received after clearing them.
We ask for codes after they have been cleared because, some could have been in there earlier and may not be coming up presently.
Codes only provide a direction to follow and not necessarily a defective component. Sometimes an irrational reading (info) can come to the computer and the computer does it's job expecting the info to be accurate when it may not be.It could be caused by another component , a wiring /connection problem or a component. The idea is to verify which it might be.

Old 04-08-2023, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by Mamcconley
Hi All,

First post because I am stumped.

History:
2008 Elantra engine light came on a while back. Scanned for code which pointed to oxygen sensor fault. Replaced the up and down oxygen sensors, cleared the error, drove for 15 minutes and the error returned.
Next, I picked up some noid lights to check electrical going to the fuel injectors. They all tested fine so no issue there.
Next, I picked up a mechanic stethoscope and listened for the clicking on the original fuel injectors. I heard strong clicking on one of them, the other three sounded a bit faint comparatively speaking so I decided to buy brand new Beck Arnley fuel injectors. I read that it's recommended to change fuel filter when you change the injectors to ensure clean fuel end to end so I picked up a Beck Arnley fuel filter as well.

Last night, I started the work by pulling the fuel pump fuse, unscrewing the gas cap then running the engine until it burned up the fuel in the line and died. Then, I disconnected the batter negative pole and got to work on the part installs.

I installed the new fuel filter in the fuel pump housing then reinstalled it. I was extremely careful with everything and I would be shocked if I did any damage to the fuel pump or fuel pump housing assembly while changing the filter and carefully placing back into the gas tank, sealing it up, etc.. I was also very careful to ensure no contaminants entered the gas tank while I did this.

Next, I went to the engine compartment and went to work on the fuel injectors. I disconnected the electrical from the fuel injectors then disconnected the fuel line from the fuel injector rail. Unbolted the injector rail from the engine block and pulled it out. Then I installed the brand new fuel injectors. One thing to note is that I did not add any lubricant or grease or anything to the O-Rings when I put them into the fuel rail and the other O-rings for the end that goes into the engine - any thoughts on whether this might cause a problem/impact the air-tight seal? At any rate, I installed the fuel rail with the new injectors, put everything back together and walking tall, feeling proud of myself, got in the car to fire it up.

I put the key to the on position a number of times to prime the fuel line. I could hear the fuel pump going to work. Tried to fire it up and it wanted to turn over but didn't. So I got the starter fluid and sprayed some into the intake. Turned the key and the car started up and ran for about 15-30 seconds before stalling out. Tried this a second time with the same result. So I went and asked my wife to give me a hand...I pulled the fuel line from the fuel rail and had her prime the pump while I watched the fuel line and when she primed it the first couple of times, no fuel came out. The third time she primed it, fuel gushed out so I quickly pushed the fuel line back into the fuel rail and bolted it down. Primed it a few more times, tried to start the car up and same result. Sounded like it wanted to turn over but didn't.

At this point, I am thinking I may need to test fuel pressure, but the geniuses at Hyundai didn't include a Schrader valve and the only place to get a fuel pressure test adapter for the fuel rail is from Hyundai themselves and they don't like helping do it yourselfers. I think I can grab an adapter from a third party but I don't know if it is an 11mm or 16mm I need - does anyone know this off hand?

Anyway, if anyone has any ideas or suggestions based on the details I provided, I would be eternally grateful. Outside of the engine light, the vehicle ran fine before I tried to be my own mechanic lol. If pictures help, I am more than happy to go snap some and attach them to this thread. Thanks in advance everyone.
hey guys i also have this problem but have had brand new fuel pump, brand new fuel filter and injectors and nothing

Old 04-08-2023, 11:07 AM

Anytime we get an engine cranks no start condition, we check for fuel and spark.

If you don't have starting fluid or carb and choke cleaner to try in the intake , remove a spark plug and see if it is wet or dry.
If wet , getting fuel , if dry, not getting fuel. Depending on which we have determines what we check next.

If you can get an answer to the above , will try to guide you where to go next.

Old 04-08-2023, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by hanky
Anytime we get an engine cranks no start condition, we check for fuel and spark.

If you don't have starting fluid or carb and choke cleaner to try in the intake , remove a spark plug and see if it is wet or dry.
If wet , getting fuel , if dry, not getting fuel. Depending on which we have determines what we check next.

If you can get an answer to the above , will try to guide you where to go next.
hey hank i have used a couple of aero starts like deodorant and glen 20 and taken the fuel hose off the rail and stuck it in the intake. It starts like that but doesnt start if fuel line is connected to fuel rail

Quick Reply: 08 Elantra No Start Following Fuel Filter and Fuel Injector Replacements