Hyundai Elantra While not much larger than the accent, the Elantra offers similar room, but a sportier look and feel, as well as more power.

2007 Elantra squealing

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2011, 05:44 PM
Default 2007 Elantra squealing

I just bought a used 2007 elantra GLS with 85,000 miles. Of course on the test drive it was glorious, but 2 days later, after start up it starts squealing horribly for a good 3-5 seconds. Then it will squeal the first few times you accelerate or turn. I'm guessing it is a belt of some kind, anyone have any suggestions? Every time I've started it the weather has been a little colder, 20-55F.

Old 12-23-2011, 05:20 PM

I had this problem in my 03 elantra. The power steering belt is probably slipping and squealing when you turn hard in cold weather. To solve this, tighten the alternator belt. Simple fix in 20 mins. You need a 12 mm wrench. Loosen 1 bolt above alternator and 1 below (you have to get under the car). Then move the alternator by tightening the tensioner bolt (on top of the alternator). Tighten up bolts and the squealing noise stops.

Old 11-19-2014, 09:36 PM

Mine had the same problem. I read a lot about it and here what you should do. The noise is like slipping belt and the steering is hard at low RPM when cold. Sometimes the power steering pulley stop turning. HERE WHAT I HAVE DONE
FIRST: change the oïl. remove the reservoir, clean it, spray varsol and wash it as much as I can to clean the filter Inside the reservoir RESULT, no change i do it again, as the oïl is not clean the first time.
SECOND I replace belts. I tight the belt, remember the alternator belt drive the power steering belt, so tight both belt. yes yes the alternator pulleey drive the power steering pump yes yes
THIRD if still noise then you need to check the releif valve Inside the pump. Under the high pressure hose, there is a fitting. Remove the high pressurre hose at the pump. Remove the fitting. Under the fitting there is a plunger followed by a spring. Just pull out the plunger and sand outside diameter of the plunger with a sand paper 120 grid. Also at the fitting, there is a hole where the plunger goes in. This hole size control the flow. Drill this hole one size larger. Reassemble everythig
I does that to my car and it run like it never been. Make sure you do not lost the O ring under the low pressure hose fitting at the pump. You might have to remode the low pressure hose at the pump to have acces to this fitting. THIS SOLVE MY PROBLEM