Hyundai Elantra While not much larger than the accent, the Elantra offers similar room, but a sportier look and feel, as well as more power.

2008 Hyundai Elantra Trans Service

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 07:06 AM
Default 2008 Hyundai Elantra Trans Service

Hi All,

I'm new to this thread and trying to help my daughter out with her 08 Elantra. Car has just passed 30K and the dealer recommended the transmission service (fluid/filter change). They wanted over $200 to do this service.

A little history first, she bought the car new and gets free oil changes for life from the dealer. Sounds good, but they always seem to find something in addition to the oil change that isn't free. There was the tire rotation and a power steering fluid change at 15K which cost over $300. I'm not sure they did either to be frank. And I certainly never heard of changing the PS fluid unless changing a component. I could not find any info on a service bulletin requiring this service. By the way they told her that her warranty would be in jeopardy if she didn't have these done.

Anyway back to the transmission, I told her to not let them do it, I would do it if she simply picked up the materials. She went to the parts department and asked for the fluid and filter/pan gasket for her car. They said they didn't stock the filter. Thats very strange....how were they going to change her's then.

More..they ordered the filter but said that there isn't a gasket, the pan must be sealed with silicone. I did some research and found several aftermarket filters come with gaskets.

I have a few questions for the techs out there.
1) Is a power steering fluid change a normal service item at 15K? (Is so why didn't they insist on it again at 30K)
2) Does the transmission pan have a gasket or is it silicone sealed?
3) Is there an external spin on trans filter on a 08 Elantra?

Thanks in advance, appreciate the help,

warrior79

Old 02-17-2012, 08:07 AM
Super Moderator

First, yes, the trans should be serviced every 30K miles.

Second, depending on how often you change the oil, the tires should be rotated every oil change or every other oil change. Personally, I rotate the tires every oil change.

Originally Posted by warrior79
Anyway back to the transmission, I told her to not let them do it, I would do it if she simply picked up the materials. She went to the parts department and asked for the fluid and filter/pan gasket for her car. They said they didn't stock the filter. Thats very strange....how were they going to change her's then.
They weren't going to change the filter. It's usually a drain and refill operation. The filter is internal and they generally do not open the trans to replace it. In my opinion it's unnecessary to replace the filter if the fluid is changed regularly.

1) Is a power steering fluid change a normal service item at 15K? (Is so why didn't they insist on it again at 30K)
Not in my opinion. Every 60K is fine. That's also when I do the brake fluid.

2) Does the transmission pan have a gasket or is it silicone sealed?
The pan is sealed with a liquid sealant, no gasket. The filter does have an o-ring gasket.

3) Is there an external spin on trans filter on a 08 Elantra?
No. The filter is internal.

1. Torque converter
2. Differential oil seal
3. Converter housing
4. Oil pump
5. Oil pump gasket
6. Thrust washer
7. Underdrive(U/D) clutch
8. Thrust bearing
9. Underdrive(U/D) clutch hub
10. Transfer drive gear mounting bolt
11. Transfer drive gear
12. Parking sprag shaft
13. Sprag spring
14. Parking sprag
15. Detent spring
16. Manual control shaft
17. Spacer
18. Differential
19. Oil separate
20. Oil separate mounting bolt
21. Transfer driven gear
22. Output shaft speed sensor
23. Shift cable bracket
24. Plug
25. Input shaft speed sensor
26. Accumulator piston
27. Coil spring
28. O-ring
29. Oil filter
30. Valve body
31. Oil pan
32. Drain plug
33. Valve body cover bolt
34. Valve body connector
35. Valve body connector mounting clip
36. Oil level gauge
37. Oil level gauge bracket bolt

Old 02-17-2012, 03:02 PM

NovaResource,

Thanks for the info

warrior79

Old 03-25-2012, 11:15 PM
Default Thanks, your response helped me a lot also, but need clarification:

NoveResource,

Thanks for the response to warrior 79. My Elantra is an '08. I bought it with 39,000 as a rebuilder from an auction so dont have service history on it (I suppose I could try CARFax.com). I pulled my tranny dipstick and the level is fine, but fluid is light brown and smells old, but not quite a burned smell. drives fine in fwd, but takes a second to engage into reverse when shifting from Drive into Reverse.

My question is, can I drain n fill and be ok or, should I request a full flush/filter replacement?
I ask because most tranny shops I talk to specify a drain n fill vs. a full flush/filter replacement, except the dealer, who of course is very willing to do a complete service for $250.

Thanks,
Matt

Old 03-26-2012, 07:54 AM
Super Moderator

If it's not too old and burnt, a drain and fill would be fine.

Old 03-28-2012, 01:21 AM

Thanks NovaResource.