Hyundai Elantra While not much larger than the accent, the Elantra offers similar room, but a sportier look and feel, as well as more power.

2009 Elantra suspension thud/rattle

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2010, 11:17 PM
Default 2009 elantra 12000kms front rattle.

Also own a '09 Elantra 12000 kms and have Rattle from both front struts or strut mounts. Very irritating to own a new car that has a louder suspension than our old 95 buick. Just curious if there may be an update on the front suspension parts as well??
Waiting to have it fixed because the nearest dealer is 2 hours away

Last edited by mjlee1975; 02-13-2010 at 11:22 PM. Reason: update
Old 02-17-2010, 09:03 AM

Hyundai Canada has since told through email and a phone call that Hyundai in Korea are aware of this issue in the elantra and are doing there best to come up with a solution for our dearlerships here. Let's hope so.

Old 02-22-2010, 11:19 PM
Default Update on my front rattle.

Originally Posted by mjlee1975
Also own a '09 Elantra 12000 kms and have Rattle from both front struts or strut mounts. Very irritating to own a new car that has a louder suspension than our old 95 buick. Just curious if there may be an update on the front suspension parts as well??
Waiting to have it fixed because the nearest dealer is 2 hours away

So I finally got around to bringing the car into my shop and found both front strut "dust covers" had fallen out of their retainers and were rattling around at the bottom of the spring area. All it took was a big gob of Permatex Ultra Grey and push them back up where they belong. Let the stuff set up and now just as quiet as the day we drove it home. Easy fix and I did not have to go 2 hours south for this simple repair.

Hope this helps others.

Old 02-24-2010, 06:02 AM

my dealer replaced stabalizer bar links thinking that ws the issue, and now it is worse, annoying as hell! The dealer is getting really pissy seeing my car there every week! So I tell them I am reading about others having the same issue and they tell me there is nothing they can do at this time. I want a new car this is BS.
Sounds like ALL the suspension is old and broken I have had lowered vehicles with a softer ride.

Mark,

Old 02-25-2010, 07:58 PM

Jack up the car and check the strut boots. One on my car had fallen out of the holder it pushes into and the other all it took was to poke it and it fell out of its spot. Simple fix was the Permatex Ultra Grey at the top of the boot and shove it up into the base of the strut mount. Ours is nice and quiet now not a problem. I didn't check the rears as they are not making noise but if the design is the same I wouldn't be suprised if they have the same problems as the fronts.

Old 02-27-2010, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by MontrealHyundaiTech
The problem is not the shock, it is the bump stops. They are too long. Hyundai replaces them with a shorter one.
had mine replaced and still an issue.

The problem is the rear shocks. Hyundai will be coming out with a 'new and imporoved' shock ! Just be patient for a little while. They will replace them under warranty. The shocks that your dealer has now will not solve your problem.
what is your source for this information? I see your username, but did the solution come from above? lol

Originally Posted by mjlee1975
So I finally got around to bringing the car into my shop and found both front strut "dust covers" had fallen out of their retainers and were rattling around at the bottom of the spring area. All it took was a big gob of Permatex Ultra Grey and push them back up where they belong. Let the stuff set up and now just as quiet as the day we drove it home. Easy fix and I did not have to go 2 hours south for this simple repair.

Hope this helps others.
my noise is from front and rear and they seem to look fine on mine, so must be something else.

Mark,

Old 02-28-2010, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by R34 Avante XD
had mine replaced and still an issue.

what is your source for this information? I see your username, but did the solution come from above? lol

my noise is from front and rear and they seem to look fine on mine, so must be something else.

Mark,
Mark , are your dust covers dropped ? If so add urethane adhesive to the top of the dust covers and stick it to the top plate.

Attached Thumbnails 2009 Elantra suspension thud/rattle-shockdustboot.jpg  

Last edited by MontrealHyundaiTech; 02-28-2010 at 11:02 AM.
Old 02-28-2010, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by R34 Avante XD

Mark,

I have been working at a Hyundai dealer for 22 years now and regularly communicate with Hyundai Canada on a daily basis. So this info that I'm relaying to you comes to us from Hyundai Canada.

Old 02-28-2010, 12:59 PM
Default Strut boots dropped

Mark , are your dust covers dropped ? If so add urethane adhesive to the top of the dust covers and stick it to the top plate.

And this is hard to see unless you jack the car up or get it on a hoist. I do believe they have the ability to "stick" back up in their seat even when worn giving you the false impression they are ok. My left side was flopping around and the right side all it took was a light touch and it fell down out of the seat area. I was sceptical that this would make all the rattling noise we were hearing on the road but its been quiet ever since. Heck it cant hurt to pull them down regardless and glue them back up in there just for good measure.

Old 03-06-2010, 09:31 PM

We get a lot of harsh ride complaints. Not a whole lot you going to do with hi-pressure gas shocks, spring rates, and "H" or "V" rated tires... feel like riding in a little red wagon with no suspension when hit bump, nice firm bump to the vehicle.

People do not undeerstand that the valving and oil through small orifices will fine when gliding down the road, but slam/impact that wheel, you going to have a split second hydro-lock of the shock as you just tried to flow more fluid through the orofice than it was set to handle... increase orifice size, shock start to lose its' motion dampening ability...

Quick Reply: 2009 Elantra suspension thud/rattle