Hyundai Elantra While not much larger than the accent, the Elantra offers similar room, but a sportier look and feel, as well as more power.

2009 Hyundai Elantra SRSCM mystery

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2014, 10:53 AM
Default 2009 Hyundai Elantra SRSCM mystery

Hey all. This is my first post and I'm sort of in a jam so I'd really appreciate anyone's input with this problem I'm having.

First let me start off with saying that this vehicle was purchased as a Salvage. It was in a front end collision where the driver side airbag was deployed, the Radiator support and associated parts were mashed in, and the driver side seatbelt tensioner was also deployed.

I began repair on the vehicle and was able to easily remove all the damaged parts and replaced them with aftermarket parts. The engine was completely unscathed other than the Variable Timing Module connector had been broken off. Car throws no check engine codes at all.

I read in the manual that I downloaded from Hyundai Service that when the vehicle is in an accident of this sort you should replace the following:
SRSCM
Wiring Harness
Front Impact Sensors
(Deployed) Airbag
Seat Belt Tensioner

I replaced the Airbag in the steering wheel, the seat belt tensioner, and both front impact sensors. The SRSCM was a big price tag, so I searched around online and found a site (myairbags.com) that resets the CM without having to buy a new one. I reinstalled the CM as per the manuals instructions by disconnecting the battery, installing the CM, and then reconnecting the battery. The manual states that if there's nothing wrong, the airbag light should turn off after 6 seconds after the initial start up. This did not occur. I had a friend come by with a Hi Pro scan tool, not those cheap ones that aren't for more specialized tasks, and he told me it was throwing codes for defective front impact sensors. I sent the SRSCM out to be flashed a second time and no dice, codes are still there. I then brought it to a Hyundai dealer who told me that the SRSCM was actually bad and that they wanted to replace it, after me having to walk them through exactly what they should look for which makes me question the competence of this particular dealership. They didn't tell me that it was throwing different codes other than defective front impact sensors so I figured they were just trying to get me to pay out the nose for what was really a wiring problem. I brought the car back to my garage and ordered a refurbished SRSCM from the same site and low and behold, I install it and the airbag light is still there.

Am I wrong to assume that this is a wiring problem? I cant really be sure without checking each wire myself, but I cant find a wiring diagram and for some strange reason the manual I downloaded doesn't have a wiring diagram for the restraint system. I also cant find anything on the resistance for the sensors themselves so I cant check them either.

Any and all advice on this would be very helpful. Thanks!