Hyundai Elantra While not much larger than the accent, the Elantra offers similar room, but a sportier look and feel, as well as more power.

2017 Elantra Limited HVAC Nightmare

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2019, 08:23 PM
Default 2017 Elantra Limited HVAC Nightmare

Hopefully I'm posting in the correct forum. If not, please direct me to the proper location.

I've been doing DIY work for a long time, but mainly on Hondas. My friend had a rat that died in the blower housing. We had to disassemble the dash, recover the R-134a, then remove the blower, disassemble, clean and reassemble.

He has a 2017 Elantra Limited Sedan with automatic transmission and navigation.

We have a few problems after reassembling.

1. The blower is only blowing air to the floor vents. The defrost will work when switched. I'm pretty sure we assembled it properly, but may need to redo this job.

2. The steering wheel has a plastic black collar with a bunch of rows of ball bearings. I can not get the collar/bearing to go all the way into the splined outer sleeve (It has 6-8 splines). There is some play in the steering wheel because of this.

Where can I get a pdf of the factory service manual? There is a site I use to get honda factory service manuals, but can't find something similar for the Elantra. I'd like to see if I can do some basic diagnostics before tearing apart the dash again.

There are also some simple things like removing the cover on the curtain air bags that took way longer due to a plastic strap at the top of the cover above the door that has a screw that looks like it was installed before the windshield was installed. Hopefully the service manual would have some steps on how to remove.

Thanks for your help.

Old 06-18-2019, 10:06 PM

Got some of this stuff figured out.

Got the steering wheel plastic bearing sleeve back in place. Just had to take out the bolt on the lower u-joint and slide down that assembly, then get the cap back in place.

Found a procedure to get a hvac codes, where you hold the off button and hit the mode select four times. I got a code 22. Found a white lever detached, and reattached. This didn't fix the problem with the air not going to the upper vents. Pulled the mode control actuator and it is moving when I switch functions. I'm not sure what to do next.

Any suggestions?