Hyundai Elantra While not much larger than the accent, the Elantra offers similar room, but a sportier look and feel, as well as more power.

94 Shift Problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2005, 07:54 PM
Default 94 Shift Problem

I Just bought this car with a slipped timing belt and replaced the head so I have no idea how it shifted before. It is a 1.8L with the 4 speed auto trans without a tach. I have already drained the trans fluid, replaced the filter and I just recently checked the fluid level and it is right where it should be.

The problem is after you start the car and accelerate for the very first time it revs up pretty high I am guessing about 3500 to 4000 RPMs, and then shifts really rough into I am guessing third because once it shifts it has absolutely no acceleration. Now if you stop and accelerate again there is no acceleration and I don't hear it shift in or out of any gear. Once you get up to highway speeds even at 70 mph it still hasn't shifted from third gear if my guess is correct and is pretty wound up at 70. If you come to a stop and put the gear selector into "S" it will down shift but there is still not the acceleration of when you accelerated the first time. Also if you slow way down and put it in "L" nothing happens.

I have no idea what to try next or even if a mechanic can help, there are no Check engine lights or anything like that. Any ideas?

Thanks

Old 10-23-2005, 08:07 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 94 Shift Problem

Depending on how bad the timing slip was I would say the tranny is definatly out of sync. What happens when something jumps time or an engine can spin freely without the belt. The tranny, cam, crank, and spark can get knocked out that can lead to bent valves and a whole other buttload of problems. Soooooooo...my guess is the tranny slipped out of time with the engine. I am not to familiar with automatic tranny's I have always had manuals myself, but I would say for safety sake to explain the situation to a mechanic and have him inspect your transmition, that sounds like the only problem.