Hyundai Elantra While not much larger than the accent, the Elantra offers similar room, but a sportier look and feel, as well as more power.

Airbag fact vs Fiction

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 11:54 AM
Default Airbag fact vs Fiction

Expert opinion needed!

I am rebuilding my sons 04’ after he tried to climb a tree with it. Naturally I am using second hand parts where the price is a factor. That includes both front airbags.
I have been in the electronics field for over 35 years so I do have a clue as to many things electronic. But airbags come with more fear than facts.

Will the voltage from a professional (Fluke 11) ohm meter (set to ohms) set off the igniter on airbags? Not the control module but the bag itself.

I have webbed myself silly trying to find valid answers but mostly what I am finding is.

An ohm meter “could” or “may”. A watch battery “will”. Newer cars twist the wiring to eliminate the possibility of induced current setting it off.

None of these are from what I would call an authoritarian source. The Hyundai service website doesn’t mention using an ohm meter. Just special jumpers across a 12volt source to dispose of airbags in scrapped cars.

Old 03-29-2010, 12:05 PM

NEVER -- EVER use a DVOM to test a SRS squib...

I detonate squibs with a "AAA" battery for disposal purposes, and they will POP like nobody business.

Why do you wish to test SRS with DVOM ?

I let the module tell me if "HIGH" or "LOW" resistance", then unplug end component to verify hi and create a short at connector and watch scan tol pop up a low code, thus I know my wiring is good.

We have "Dummy Loads" to take place of squib to see if code will go away and pass self test at key on.

Old 03-29-2010, 01:03 PM

Do you know what the resistance should be for the dummy loads? I have resistors up the yin-yang. It looks like both bags are dual stage. So I suspect there should be 4 resistors.

Old 03-29-2010, 02:29 PM

I went and looked at our "Dummy Load" box, 2 wires hang off with connectors, and it is tagged 2 ohm on 1 connector, and 2.2 ohm on other.

Elantra should have DAB, PAB, DSAB, PSAB, DBPT and PBPT.. part of them is 2 ohm, and other is 2.2 ohm...... I would need to find my Body Electrical Systems course book from 2yr ago, I seem to recall it was called out as to what value belonged to what.

Seem to recall cleaning out a bunch of stuff last summerout of garage, and book may have hit the trash..

Old 03-30-2010, 06:50 AM

Thanks, I'll try those values in different combos.

Old 03-31-2010, 12:21 PM

samkent_ im in the same situation. Does anyone know the location of the front impact sensor?? picture or good description. thanks

Old 03-31-2010, 02:17 PM

Front impact sensor is located at upper core support, just to passenger side of hood latch according to picture E54 in the Elantra ETM... follow the plastic ribbed conduit up away from latch support

Old 03-31-2010, 02:28 PM

Thanks- be safe with those fun_bags!

Old 03-31-2010, 03:19 PM

I been dinking with bags and control system since Toyota brought them out in '90 -92 time frame... I created shorts and opens to verify the harness, as there is no proper tools available (no matter how much I bitch at tech assist, course instructors) to defeat the short pins in the connectors when you unplug SRSCM connector..

Youtube "Airbags 101" by ofcrwright, thats us at our last place of employ about 4yr ago.

Old 04-10-2010, 06:53 PM
Default Cant find frnt impact sensor!!

samkent_ I just spent 2hrs looking for that front imp[act sensor and could not find it!!! Very frustrated b/c i confirmed with you and the parts person @hyundai -even got a rough print out.
But there is no other wire off the horn plug, like it shows in the diagram.

Please any real life pics??

2002 Hyundai Elantra GLS 120Kmi

Quick Reply: Airbag fact vs Fiction