Hyundai Elantra While not much larger than the accent, the Elantra offers similar room, but a sportier look and feel, as well as more power.

Bizarre thermostat issue 2004 Elantra GT

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 01:40 PM
Default Bizarre thermostat issue 2004 Elantra GT

I recently had the thermostat replaced in my 2004 Elantra GT. My trouble is that the same code keeps appearing even after I revisited the shop on two more occasions. The meter for the temp on the gage cluster is not working but the heater and AC work just fine. This blasted thing has thrown me for a loop, any suggestions?

Old 01-26-2011, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by benjaminainley
I recently had the thermostat replaced in my 2004 Elantra GT.
Ok, did you use a factory Hyundai thermostat ? Why did we replace the thermostat ?

My trouble is that the same code keeps appearing even after I revisited the shop on two more occasions.
Code... what code ? do you have the code handy ?

The meter for the temp on the gage cluster is not working but the heater and AC work just fine.
Ok..

This blasted thing has thrown me for a loop, any suggestions?
What was the original concern for taking car to shop ? Answer the above and let see if we can find some sort of starting point.
What was reason for for original shop visit ?

What is the original code recovered ?

What all been messed with ?

Old 01-27-2011, 01:24 PM
Default reply

Dangit! I don't have the code handy because the engine light is currently not on. Originally I took it in because the indicator light came on and the temp gage showed that it was higher than normal. The thermostat was not replaced by a dealer so I am not certain if it was hyundai or not. 10 days or so after the work was done the indicator light came on again and I took it back to the shop and asked them to check their work. They thought they may had put a faulty t-stat in it originally so they replaced it again. This yielded the same results. They refunded my money and I took it to another shop which yielded the same results as well, however, at this point the meter on the gage cluster stopped working. I thought perhaps it could be a sensor of some sort but am really not certain. The shop that replaced it the second go round looked at it again and can't seem to fix the problem. I am at a loss. As soon as I get a code again I'll post. Thank you.