Hyundai Santa Fe This compact sport utility vehicle offers the buyer the safety of an SUV without the hefty price tag or fuel bill.

Bizarre electrical problem, please help!

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2008, 11:43 AM
Default Bizarre electrical problem, please help!

My 2001 Santa Fe is experiencing some strange electrical issues; my interior electrical systems seem to be failing one by one.

First, my remote keyless entry stopped working (despite the remotes both having brand new batteries.
Then, my clock stopped working, either with the car on or with the key in the ACC position.
Then, my dome light stopped working on "door" mode with the key in the ACC position, but if the car is started, it works just fine. However, with the key in the ACC position, the dome light works in the "on" position, just not the "door" position.
Then, my car stereo stopped working.
Then, my dash lights began to dim, even with them turned all the way up. My dash is barely readable now at night.
My turn signals do not work anymore.
My headlights will not work unless the car is turned on (they will not work with the key in the ACC position).

My battery tests fine, and I've checked every fuse in my car both under the hood and the interior fuse box. No alternator lights have appeared, and my car runs fine with the negative battery terminal disconnected.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Old 09-27-2008, 07:53 PM
Default RE: Bizarre electrical problem, please help!

Update: After looking around, I discovered that there's an open wire harness underneath the driver's seat. About a month ago, my car was broken into, and my radio taken. Is there supposed to be something underneath the seat? An amp or crossover maybe? If it was taken, could that be the cause of my electrical problems?

Old 09-29-2008, 09:35 PM

First, my remote keyless entry stopped working (despite the remotes both having brand new batteries.
Then, my clock stopped working, either with the car on or with the key in the ACC position.
Then, my dome light stopped working on "door" mode with the key in the ACC position, but if the car is started, it works just fine. However, with the key in the ACC position, the dome light works in the "on" position, just not the "door" position.
Then, my car stereo stopped working.
Then, my dash lights began to dim, even with them turned all the way up. My dash is barely readable now at night.
My turn signals do not work anymore.
My headlights will not work unless the car is turned on (they will not work with the key in the ACC position).
Did these problems occur simutaneously or sequentially? I would check the fusible link marked "B+" in the relay box under the hood. The links look like heavy duty, over size fuses. This single link feeds power to Fuses #11 through #15, which pretty much covers all the affected systems.

Is there supposed to be something underneath the seat?
I'm guessing your Santa Fe does not have heated seats. The connector is likely the harness plug to facilitate installation of the seat heater option. Hyundai usually hides the stereo amp behind one of the interior panels covering one of the rear quarter panels.

About a month ago, my car was broken into, and my radio taken.
When the radio was stolen, was the thief nice enough to unplug it from the wiring harness connector or did they simply cut the harness? If cut off, some of these problems could be related to a mis-matched wire when the new radio was installed. The new radio likely has a fuse built into the back of the chassis or into the power lead. I'd check that first and if blown, replace it.

No alternator lights have appeared, and my car runs fine with the negative battery terminal disconnected.
There is no way the starter will work if the negative lead is disconnected from the battery. If the car continues to run after you have started it and disconnect the battery, that means your alternator is working properly (but don't leave it running this way very long).

Old 09-30-2008, 09:02 AM

Thanks for the help Ken.

It turns out that when I wrote "I checked every fuse in my car", I seemed to overlook a couple, including a blown fuse labeled clock (in the interior fuse box). I replaced that 10 amp fuse, and everything worked! Hyundai should relabel that fuse the "clock/dash light/dome light/radio/remote keyless entry" fuse. Am I the only one who finds it absurd that one fuse controls all of these systems?

At any rate, all is well. Thanks again homie!

By the way, I called the dealer, and they told me that the wiring harness underneath my seat is an airbag diagnostic port. Apparently, that's where the dealer installs their diagnostic equipment to examine airbag functionality...just so you know.

Old 09-30-2008, 09:46 PM

By the way, I called the dealer, and they told me that the wiring harness underneath my seat is an airbag diagnostic port. Apparently, that's where the dealer installs their diagnostic equipment to examine airbag functionality...just so you know.
That is good to know and I'm glad you have the problem solved.

Old 05-19-2009, 08:32 AM
Default Please help

I just purchased an 03 hyundai Santa Fe on Friday. Already I am having problems and the dealership basically tells me im on my own. The turn signals just stopped working on my way to work this morning. I cant figure out why. Is there a fuse or is there a more serious problem?

Old 05-19-2009, 08:56 AM
Banned

There's a turn signal relay. You can check the fuses too.

Old 05-19-2009, 08:46 PM

Do you know where the turn signal relay is?? So far today, I have been through 5 fuses. I purchased the car used, and I've only had it since Friday and already this is the 6th problem I'm having with the car. Thank you for your help on this.

Old 05-19-2009, 08:50 PM
Banned

You've been through five fuses? Please explain...

Old 05-19-2009, 08:54 PM
Banned

Turn signal relay should be in the fuse box under the hood.

Quick Reply: Bizarre electrical problem, please help!