Hyundai Elantra While not much larger than the accent, the Elantra offers similar room, but a sportier look and feel, as well as more power.

blue smoke

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2014, 06:47 AM
Question blue smoke

If I am cruizing along at 40mph or so and kick it in to passing gear to pass someone if I look in the rear view mirror you cant see anything for a 10th of a mile behind for all the thick blue smoke coming out of my tailpipe. It does not smoke at idle or just regularly driving. I took to the dealer and they could not find anything wrong and couldn't make it happen, yet as soon as I got back in the car and drove to work I tried to simulate the incident and yes it happened again! I am afraid to kick it into passing gear now for fear something is going to happen. Should I try a different Hyundai dealer? They is REALLY something wrong.

Old 02-09-2014, 10:26 AM

What year? If it's a 12 or 13 we have had a few of these. Most we have seen the customer did not complain about it. On the ones we had once it was blown out by flooring it petal to metal the vehicle would no longer smoke. I was told by tech line that oil gets into baffle inside valve cover where it's not supposed to be and get sucked into Pcv system witch causes this condition. If yours still smokes after it's blown out , make sure your oil level isn't overfilled.

Old 02-10-2014, 12:39 PM
Super Moderator

Blue smoke is oil so that's where I'd start.

Also, there is no such thing as "passing gear". They are just different gear ratios.

Old 02-10-2014, 09:54 PM

By passing gear I think you know what I mean. When you are cruising along following a car at about 40 on a 2 lane highway and you floor it to pass someone quickly and it shifts to another gear revving the RPMs up. Does that kinding sum that up for you? Oil isn't overfilled unless I have a bad dipstick. This is the 5th time I have seen it smoke like that in the last few months. Erichshonda, you sound like that could be right. I'll try making it happen again a few times closer together and see if the friggin motor blows up.

Old 02-14-2014, 09:18 AM
Super Moderator

Oil like that could be from the PCV blowby or bad valve guides.

Old 03-09-2014, 12:18 PM
Angry Smoke out of exhaust under acceleration

Here is a video I took today of it blowing smoke. The dealer said they cant duplicate the problem.

2013 hyundai elantra smoke - YouTube

Old 04-26-2014, 02:14 PM

Found this article:
Oil, transmission fluid and antifreeze are the three fluids most likely to be the cause of white smoke coming from your exhaust. Ruptured seals, leaky bolts and blown gaskets can expose oil to hot spots, making it burn. Pinholes or loose lines can cause antifreeze to spray on the engine, while transmission fluid can be sucked into the engine and burn.

Read more: What Causes White Smoke From Exhaust? | eHow

Old 04-26-2014, 06:29 PM

Have seen a few with that problem, not necessarily Hyundai s, From what I can recall when it was from valve guides you got that on start up. Another manufacturer also had that problem and they redesigned the valve cover to lessen the ingestion of oil into the PCV system. If you manage to blow the engine up I doubt it will be due to the smoke problem.