Hyundai Elantra While not much larger than the accent, the Elantra offers similar room, but a sportier look and feel, as well as more power.

Car keeps dying with lots of codes..

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 01:09 AM
Exclamation Car keeps dying with lots of codes..

I have a 1998 Hyundai Elantra 1.8L with Automatic Transmission

I’m Using Code Reader Mac Tools ET50 (Launch CscannerIV)

Freeze Frame with no MIL Drove car then MIL come on with this code
P1600
Calculated Load 8.62%
S.T Fuel Trim B1 -82.81%
L.T Fuel Trim B1 -82.81%

Engine running with no MIL
Po713

Engine Codes Key on with MIL
P0310
Cylinder 10 Misfire Detected

P1700

P0710 (pd)
Transmission Fluid Temperature Sensor Circuit

P1B00 (pd)

My car is all stock. Been driving fine for months with no problems

My car died driving down the road with engine light on, tried 10 times to start the car but it failed to start.
15 Min's later the car started and no engine light, I was able to drive 5 miles and then it died again with engine light on, failed to start..
I let the car sit 15 Min's and then the car started and I was able to drive it the rest of the way home with the engine light on (about 5 miles)

I erased the codes
Car starts and I drove 50 feet and car died with engine light come back on, car started right up and drove it back wards 50 feet back to my driveway.
I checked the codes again and I am pulling all the codes that are mentioned above.

What could this be?

Old 05-01-2009, 03:59 AM
Banned

Are you using the ecm you got from eBay with the wrong part numbers?

Old 05-01-2009, 04:01 AM

NO...lol

Old 05-01-2009, 04:35 AM
Banned

Sounds like you transmission is overheating. Do you have good fluid in there? Did you do a fluid flush & change?

P01600 - Serial cable malfunction

Bad connection to the scanner from the transmission.

P01700 - Transmission gear shift transmission

P0710 - Transmission fluid temp sensor malfuction

P01B00 -???

P0310 - Cylinder 10 -???

Old 05-01-2009, 04:46 AM

The fluid and filter is due for a change I'm sure, but I haven't got to it yet since it's so expensive..

Originally Posted by jsinton
Sounds like you transmission is overheating. Do you have good fluid in there? Did you do a fluid flush & change?

P01600 - Serial cable malfunction
I'm not familiar with this part, what is that?

Bad connection to the scanner from the transmission.
Is this the Serial cable malfunction you are talking about?

P01700 - Transmission gear shift transmission

P0710 - Transmission fluid temp sensor malfuction

P01B00 -???
Not sure either as this code is not listed on any code list..

P0310 - Cylinder 10 -???
I was wondering the same thing..

The Trans will slip a little bit when reaching 35mph for the first drive of the day only, and it will only happen once a day for the first shift. After that it seems to shift great at all speeds.. Strange..

But how would all these codes show at the same time and even when the light is on, the car drives ok until it dies and losing all power. Transmission should not kill all power to the car or cause it to not start correct?
When I drove it home I drove it at 75MPH with no problems, I wanted to get enough speed so if it died I have a good amount of speed so I could coast, I have 4 bridges I had to make it across

When I first got stuck I checked the trans fluid and the color was normal and no odd smells.

This car is my only transportation besides my mother car, she is letting me borrow it since this is her vacation week anyway.. After that I don't know what to do as I have to drive my wife to work and to school with my car..

Last edited by Jag1980; 05-01-2009 at 04:49 AM.
Old 05-01-2009, 05:47 AM
Banned

Well you're getting a lot of transmission codes. It's all computer controlled, so it could all be related.

Old 05-01-2009, 05:51 AM

Any suggestions on what I could go out to my car and check or test?

I really have no clue where to start.. The other codes I'm getting kinda throw me off a bit as to a area of interest.

Old 05-01-2009, 06:45 AM
Banned

Have the fluid changed. Pull off the neg battery cable and clear the codes. See if the codes come back.

Old 05-01-2009, 06:50 AM

All those different codes and the car dying could just be caused by Dirty old Trans fluid? Is there a safety switch that turns off the car if the transmission gets to hot or?

Last time the car died it was sitting for a day and has only been at idle for maybe 1 min, drove it 50 feet and it died with this code
P1600
Calculated Load 8.62%
S.T Fuel Trim B1 -82.81%
L.T Fuel Trim B1 -82.81%

Just wanna make sure of the greatness of the possibility since each quart is about $9 and then the cost of the filter kit I would hate to use the little amount of money I had on something that had nothing to do with the problem

Not trying to question your experience, but from my end I must ask

Last edited by Jag1980; 05-01-2009 at 06:52 AM.
Old 05-01-2009, 10:33 AM
Banned

Well I can understand not having much money to put into your car. The thing is replacing your trans probably cost as much as a whole new junk Elantra.

Go up to Walmart and buy the universal trans fluid that's recommended for Hyundai. It cost maybe $4. People will say that's bad or it will void the warranty, but you don't have a warranty anymore, and the spec is supposed to exceed the Hyundai stuff.

Your problem is elusive, and sounds to me like an overheating problem. Your getting codes for the temperature sensor, and other weird codes that don't make much sense unless it's overheating.

Case in point is P1600 - serial cable. Cables don't go bad, but they work loose from too much heat and cold.

P0710 - Temp sensor malfunction - Overheating written all over it.

P1B00 - Unrecognizable code - computer overheating an making funny codes

P0310 - Another funny computer code. You don't have 10 cylinders

Yep, I would say you got an overheating problem.

What color is the water in the radiator? Is it nice florescent green? Is it full to the top?

How do you know you have enough trans fluid in there? Did you run the trans forwards and backwards and read the fluid in neutral?

Do like I'm saying: Get a fluid change, drop the pan and LOOK at the filter make sure it's not clogged. Make sure there's no metal in the pan. \

After you get the fluid changed, pull the negative battery cable off the battery to reset the whole system. This will clear the codes, and reset the "adaptive learning" on the transmission. It lets the trans start from fresh.

If you do the work yourself, it might cost you $30 to $100 bucks depending on what you do and how you do it. It's worth a shot.

The alternative is take it to a mechanic and see what they say. Take lots of Vaseline if you do that.

Quick Reply: Car keeps dying with lots of codes..