car locked - Hyundai Forum - Hyundai Enthusiast Forums

Hyundai Elantra While not much larger than the accent, the Elantra offers similar room, but a sportier look and feel, as well as more power.
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Old 01-26-2011, 05:06 AM

Default car locked

last night i tried to start my 2009 elantra- some alarm went off , and altho the radio, air conditioner, and lites came on, i could not turn steering wheel, the gas pedal seemed dead, the car just seem to lock. if i opened the door, the alarm stopped beeping. (i never bought an alarm system.) this lasted about half an hour, then the car was fine. what happened?
Old 01-26-2011, 08:05 AM
Super Moderator

Yes, you car has a factory alarm. Did you use the remote to unlock the door or the key in the lock? The alarm is set when you lock the car with the remote and you need to disarm the alarm by unlocking the car with the remote.

Did you read your owners manual?
Old 01-26-2011, 10:37 AM

Default car locked

no remote was used at any point -- just the key
Old 01-26-2011, 10:50 AM
Super Moderator

But do you have a remote for the car? If you open the car with the key and the alarm is set it will cause the alarm to go off and the car not to start.
Old 01-26-2011, 11:45 AM

Default car locked

I have one remote which I normally use to open the car door. Actually this incident occured when my son was using the car -- he does not have a remote. He uses the car often ( probably more often than I do) and this problem only occurs very rarely. I questioned him further and discovered that the problem actually started when he got to where he was going, took the key out of the ignition. then the alarm went off -- it stopped when he opened the door. he then tried to start the car again, and at that point -- it seemed to freeze. again, the radio, air conditioner, lights -- all worked; but the steering wheel, gas, etc. were locked. the car wouldn't start. is there some way to "unset" the alarm? what if you don't have a remote?

Last edited by wiengles12; 01-26-2011 at 11:48 AM. Reason: another thought.