Hyundai Elantra While not much larger than the accent, the Elantra offers similar room, but a sportier look and feel, as well as more power.

car won't start

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 09:40 AM
Default car won't start

I have a 2002 Elantra and have been having a starting issue. Sometime it takes 3-4 turns of the key to get the vehicle to start. When it doesn't start, I can hear a humming from the engine, but nothing else. Then after a few turns of the key, it starts right up. I have had a new starter installed and battery. Does anyone have any ideas?

Old 12-06-2007, 09:46 AM
Default RE: car won't start

When turning the key, does the engine turn slowly, not at all or does it turn over normally just doesn't kick over?

How many miles on the odometer?

Once it starts, does it run ok?

Does it make any strange sounds when running?

Old 12-06-2007, 09:59 AM

The car doesn't turn over at all, but does make a humming sound as I turn the key.

It has 70k miles.

When it does start, it runs fine and doesn't make any strange sounds.

Thanks for your help!!

Old 12-06-2007, 11:21 AM

OK, better info.

So, new battery and starter. Did the car sit for a long time or is it a daily driver? The reason I ask is because my mother's Accord had a "new" battery but the car never was driven much due to mom's health reasons. The new battery went bad quickly due to lack of use.

Next time you get it running, take it to AutoZone and have them run a battery check.

In the mean time, check for loose wiring connections to the battery, starter, chassis if you can.

Edit:

I just re-read your post about the "humming". It could be that the starter gear isn't engaging the flywheel. Does the hum sound like an electric motor spinning? That hum could also be the electronic fuel pump.

Old 12-06-2007, 12:18 PM

The battery was replaced last weekend, and the starter Monday. However, the problem continues. I do drive it to work and back everyday.

Yes, the hum does sound like an electric motor running.

Thanks for the help Kargo!!

Old 12-06-2007, 12:35 PM

I'm not a technician but have worked on cars and motorcycles. I hope to help at least narrow it down a bit.

Does the hum occur when you're turning to the key to the "start" position (like when you want the starter to engage and start the car) or just when you turn the key to the "on" position? Not the accessory "acc" position. That position is used when you want to listen to the radio with the engine off.

The fuel pump will "hum" for a second or two then stop when the ignition key is turned to the "on" position. It will then stop on it's own. I want to make sure that this isn't the hum you're hearing.

Old 12-06-2007, 12:49 PM

Doohickie, all, please feel free to chime in.

Laudies, I seriously doubt it's your battery or starter. But to verify, did you replace these b/c of this current issue?

Old 12-06-2007, 12:51 PM

The humming sound occurs when I attempt to start the car.

Thanks!

Old 12-06-2007, 01:01 PM

OK, since we're diagnosing over the internet, my best guess is that the hum you hear is the starter motor spinning but not engaging.

I forget the name of the part, but starter may not be throwing it's starting gear to the car's flywheel. It may be sticking or the solenoid may be bad.

When you let go of the key and then attempt to start it a few times, it finally engages and starts?

Old 12-06-2007, 01:15 PM

I did replace the starter and battery because of the current issue.

Sometimes it starts right up. But most of the time I have to let go of the key a few times before it engages. When it does start, it runs fine.

Quick Reply: car won't start