Hyundai Elantra While not much larger than the accent, the Elantra offers similar room, but a sportier look and feel, as well as more power.

CHECK ENGINE LIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 06:49 PM
Default CHECK ENGINE LIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!

I have a 02 Elantra GLS 2.0L Auto about 2 days ago i was having problems with my Shifter when i would place the car in park or drive it was very stiff. I cleaned out the engine bay and the problem went away turns out the linkage was dirty and sticky. Now Today i was driving the car and the check engine light came on but the car has not lose any power or anything still rides smooth and all. I took it down to Autozone to get a reading and they pulled up 2 codes something to do with the tranny senor. Now when i got home i was backing the car into my drive way and went back to far and put the car in drive and it felt like it was in netural and wouldn't go anywhere so i kicked it into 3 and L and went back to drive and it worked fine i took the car back out on da highway and tested the tranny it shifts smooth and has no problems all 4 gears shift perfect and has no problems. once again i return home backed into my driveway and onced at a stoped placed the car back in drive and wouldn't go. Can someone please tell me if this is a senor or the tranny i think it has to be something cause the tranny seems fine to me. Please anyone with any help i would be greatful i have listed the codes below i got from autozone

TROUBLESHOOTING P1529
OEM Brand: Hyundai
Definition
TCM MIL on request-Snap Shot information stored
Probable Causes
1.- Check TCM for Trouble Codes
TROUBLESHOOTING P0705
OEM Brand: OBDII
The PCM has determined that malfunction exists in
The electrical circuit for the transmission range
Sensor. (PRNDL Input)
Definition
Transmission range sensor circuit input
Probable causes
1.Open or short circuit condition
2.Poor electrical connection
3.Failed transmission range switch

Old 01-27-2009, 07:15 PM
Banned
Default Re: Check engine light!!!!!!!!!!!

The P1529 just means there is a code stored.

The 705 means that probably when your linkages got gunked up, it also gunked the PRNDL input sensor. Or maybe you knocked it loose when you cleaned the linkages.

Last edited by NovaResource; 09-20-2011 at 06:29 PM.
Old 01-27-2009, 07:23 PM
Default RE: CHECK ENGINE LIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!

Is there a pic or something u can show me what that senor looks like is it hard to change does it require alot of tools? I'll go to the dealer tomorrow and buy a new one and swap it out pleaes let me know?

Old 01-27-2009, 07:23 PM
Banned

[align=left]So how did you clean the engine compartment? With a power washer? NEVER USE A POWER WASHER!

Old 01-27-2009, 07:39 PM

I used 2 can's of engine cleaner and hosed it down with my garden hose. So if i replace my speed sensor this should fix my problem???

Old 01-27-2009, 07:45 PM
Banned

See TSB 03-40-013 for information. Basically, it's the gearshift switch selector thing right next to the dipstick. It's got a wiring harness connected to it. Make sure the wiring harness is tight and clean.

Old 01-27-2009, 07:52 PM

I'm going outside now and take it out and bring it inside my house and check it out I'll let ya know what happens if its dirty or wet

Old 01-27-2009, 07:54 PM
Banned

[align=left]Don't ever clean a modern engine like that. There's too many electrical connections. It was ok to do that 40 years ago when it was carbs and simple points, but now you probably got water in all the sensor connections. It's probably what's wrong with the PRNDL selector. Probably your problems are only just starting, give that water a chance to corrode some things, and you'll see what I mean.

Old 01-27-2009, 07:58 PM

So whats the best way to clean an engine bay if u can't use water? Should i try to take that senor out and dry it up or should i just replace it

Old 01-27-2009, 08:04 PM
Banned

[align=left]Don't clean modern engine bays is my philosophy. If you must, use a clean rag. Try to clean the sensor with clean rags. The connections are the problem.

Quick Reply: CHECK ENGINE LIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!