Hyundai Elantra While not much larger than the accent, the Elantra offers similar room, but a sportier look and feel, as well as more power.

Clunking/Thud noise in rear when hitting small bumps

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2020, 06:28 PM
Default Clunking/Thud noise in rear when hitting small bumps

I’m new here and if there is another section I can read please direct me.

First off I have a 2018 Elantra SEL 45000 on it. I am having a clunking noise coming from the rear of my car. When I hit little bumps, bumps on bridges, rough roads etc sounds like bad bushings on shocks or bad factory shocks all together. It’s driving me crazy. I’ve had it checked by a local shop and they can hear it but everything is tight in the rear suspension.

Had a mechanic from the dealership ride along with me and he tells me it’s supposed to sound like that. For a 2018 surly not. Therefore I’m taking it back in tomorrow. Had anyone else experienced this with a newer Elantra? Thanks in advance

Old 04-18-2021, 08:06 PM
Default Noise in rear

Originally Posted by Bjs1127
I’m new here and if there is another section I can read please direct me.

First off I have a 2018 Elantra SEL 45000 on it. I am having a clunking noise coming from the rear of my car. When I hit little bumps, bumps on bridges, rough roads etc sounds like bad bushings on shocks or bad factory shocks all together. It’s driving me crazy. I’ve had it checked by a local shop and they can hear it but everything is tight in the rear suspension.

Had a mechanic from the dealership ride along with me and he tells me it’s supposed to sound like that. For a 2018 surly not. Therefore I’m taking it back in tomorrow. Had anyone else experienced this with a newer Elantra? Thanks in advance
if you haven't solved the issue, might I recommend reaching under the rear and tug on the E brake cable you might hear the noise you are looking for. I have a 2013 elantra limited and have heard a metal rattle when driving over bumps and it happens to be the calipers rattling on the slides. Let me know what you think.